Sign in to follow this  
bill77ocean

bumper paint

Is it me or does the bumper paint seem a different color, than the body panels? i know the bumper is made out of plastic, so maybe i guess, The reason i say this i just bought a FFH, sterling grey, and the bumpers seems a click darker than the side panels to me..

Hi Bill. :D No, it is not you. This is a common situation with modern cars, and it is more noticeable on some colors than others.

You pretty much got it correct concerning the color difference being mainly due to the difference in the underlying material being painted (plastic versus steel).

But if it is any comfort to you, it is normal and you are not alone.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Never really that noticed before (wasnt looking really), i've been looking now more closely at other cars lately. some are spot on, with the bumpers and the steel panels, but are usually a lighter, or a darker (black) color, they seem to match up pretty well (the colors)..

I am in the process of refurbishing a 1995 Grand Marquis, and had to replace the front bumper cover. It seems all plastic bumpers use a black primer on them, whether OEM, or aftermarket. I painted the entire car after finishing the body work, originally the car was black, but I wanted this to be a bit one off from all the rest, so I painted it Dark Amethyst instead. Before I laid the color on it, I primer sealed it with gray, except for the front bumper cover, it wasn't on the car, and in a different booth. I have everything painted and cleared now, ready to be color sanded and polished, and noticed that the front bumper is just a touch darker than the rest, the rear bumper is a perfect match, so the primer coat does make a difference in the final outcome of the paint. Overall the car looks great, makes me wonder why Ford didn't paint this car in this color in the first place.

I am in the process of refurbishing a 1995 Grand Marquis, and had to replace the front bumper cover. It seems all plastic bumpers use a black primer on them, whether OEM, or aftermarket. I painted the entire car after finishing the body work, originally the car was black, but I wanted this to be a bit one off from all the rest, so I painted it Dark Amethyst instead. Before I laid the color on it, I primer sealed it with gray, except for the front bumper cover, it wasn't on the car, and in a different booth. I have everything painted and cleared now, ready to be color sanded and polished, and noticed that the front bumper is just a touch darker than the rest, the rear bumper is a perfect match, so the primer coat does make a difference in the final outcome of the paint. Overall the car looks great, makes me wonder why Ford didn't paint this car in this color in the first place.

Sounds like ford may have taken a short cut on painting the bumpers to me, I noticed today even the front bumper is slightly darker, and I saw this morning a 2010 ford fusion, sterling grey like mine, and the paint looked spot on, all the way around, I guess I just got lucky, and have a two toned car….

IIRC on some vehicles the bumpers are actually delivered to the factory already painted so that might also account for minor differences.

thanks for the info on that, sounds like a reasonable thing it could be that too, i would hate to have to pay a few hundred bucks to get it to match though, the good news just continues....lol