Tazzboo

Our Fusion Hybrid is in the SHOP

Well this morning my wife was on her way to work and had a problem in the Fusion. She calls me and tells me that she is smelling a burnt electrical smell coming from some were in the car. I asked her the details. She said that she heard a high pitch squeal coming from the right side of the car. Then the squeal went away followed by the burnt smell. I told her it was probably the Blower Motor for the HVAC. She turned the system off and the smell went away with the windows down. She said that made since because the squeal started right about the time the HVAC kicked in after the car had reached the temp to allow it.

I went and got the car from her work and took it to the dealer. The dealer called the TECH's and they say that they haven't heard of this, but to replace the Blower motor. Now we wait for the parts to arrive. Apperently the only blower motor around is coming from California and we live in VA.

Anybody else having problems with there blower motors squealing/failing?

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with this car. I was very very leary about buying another Ford due to past experience with my F150 supercrew that couldn't be fixed.

Dealership so far has been out standing with taking care of us.

Edited by Tazzboo

Well this morning my wife was on her way to work and had a problem in the Fusion. She calls me and tells me that she is smelling a burnt electrical smell coming from some were in the car. I asked her the details. She said that she heard a high pitch squeal coming from the right side of the car. Then the squeal went away followed by the burnt smell. I told her it was probably the Blower Motor for the HVAC. She turned the system off and the smell went away with the windows down. She said that made since because the squeal started right about the time the HVAC kicked in after the car had reached the temp to allow it.

I went and got the car from her work and took it to the dealer. The dealer called the TECH's and they say that they haven't heard of this, but to replace the Blower motor. Now we wait for the parts to arrive. Apperently the only blower motor around is coming from California and we live in VA.

Anybody else having problems with there blower motors squealing/failing?

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with this car. I was very very leary about buying another Ford due to past experience with my F150 supercrew that couldn't be fixed.

Dealership so far has been out standing with taking care of us.

I swore I'd never buy another first year model after my Mini Cooper Convertible that leak every time it rained and it took them 100000+ times to fix it. Though I took the plunge with the FFH. Unfortunately that is the nature of the game with new models, we are partly guinea pigs.

sorry to hear it (unfortunately i'm a member of the club :( - hey tazz (or any) how has your dealership so far has been out standing (free loaner, shuttle service) ?

sorry to hear it (unfortunately i'm a member of the club :( - hey tazz (or any) how has your dealership so far has been out standing (free loaner, shuttle service) ?

So far its good. Yes I used the Free Shuttle service to get home. Then later that evening I went back to get a loaner car. I told them that hey my 3 month old car shouldn't be having Burnt Electrical smells coming from it this early in its life.

Last Sunday I had a similar smell in my FFH: an acrid burnt electric smell. Iwent away and everything seems ok. This is spooky!

Did this happen just after the car warmed up and the HVAC system kicked in? Did you hear a squeal? This could be a sign!

I will keep you informed of what they come up with on my end. Google Fusion blower motor problems and you will find a few people with older models that were complaining about the resistor burning out for the blower. Which would cause the fan not to work properly.

Last Sunday I had a similar smell in my FFH: an acrid burnt electric smell. It went away and everything seems ok. Blower fan is normal. This is spooky!

Does the blower work in the "high" fan setting? Not sure if this applies to this vehicle, but many use a separate resistor for the high fan setting. If this blows, the lower speeds can still work even if high speed doesn't.

Picked up the car today. :headspin:

Hear is what the ticket said.

"Check over. Heard noise and smelled odor. Call hot line. Had no reports, but to check the blower motor for water getting on it. Removed blower motor. Did not see any water. Did see the fan on the blower motor to be cracked in two spots. Replaced blower motor assembly. Recheck. Ok at this time."

I asked to look at the blower and from what I could see the squirrel cage/fan blade was cracked. My only guess is that this caused the blade to be off balance which in turn burned the motor out partially. Either way very strange to have a crack as big as it was on this part. Must have been like that from the factory, some yooohooo dropped it or something.

I drove around for a little while in it and all seems well.

PJFW8 I hope you get it figured out. I did have a chance to smell the old motor and it did seem like some one let the smoke out of it. LOL

For some of you...... don't jump all over me for pointing this out...... but it was mentioned to me that there IS an electric heater back-up on the FFH. My saleman is the one that pointed it out. But then again....he had no idea that the vehicle has a Driver side knee airbag so it would seem that not all the correct information and maybe some incorrect is getting to the people who need it. I have noticed the smell every so often....like when I set the heat to 78 the other morning when it was 19 degrees out....But it went away after the engine warmed up. Normally I keep it at 70-72 but thought it was a good morning to try the info out so...... Because of what I was told....... I just attributed it to the electric element and maybe some dust that had accumulated. Just remember, I'm only the messenger here so don't bite my head off.

Edited by oldschool1962

I'm inclined to disagree. Any research I did never pointed to an electric heater, but that it's all based off of the coolant like a normal vehicle. Living in Canada, my Hybrid right now will always start up the ICE from scratch for both Cabin temperature and of course the Environment (catalytic converter etc). Now a piece of information, with the less then -10C temps, my blower will not engage until the ICE has begun to warm up. This leads me to believe, there is no electrical heat, and is waiting on warmth from the ICE, so that cold air is not being blown. I know I appreciate it waiting :D

"Because the gasoline engine is often not running — the Fusion Hybrid can reach an impressive 47 mph on battery power alone — the power steering and air conditioning are electrically powered. Furthermore, the gasoline engine and all computer controls are optimized to keep hot water on hand for the heater and defroster."

Quote from an editorial I found ^^

Edited by Zacher

I can't find anything in the wiring diagram about an electric heater. I wish it had one though. It seems the climate control needs a much higher engine temp in the cold than the emissions parts do. I would guess that electrically assisted heat might give more mileage in the Winter.

Jon

I'm inclined to disagree. Any research I did never pointed to an electric heater, but that it's all based off of the coolant like a normal vehicle. Living in Canada, my Hybrid right now will always start up the ICE from scratch for both Cabin temperature and of course the Environment (catalytic converter etc). Now a piece of information, with the less then -10C temps, my blower will not engage until the ICE has begun to warm up. This leads me to believe, there is no electrical heat, and is waiting on warmth from the ICE, so that cold air is not being blown. I know I appreciate it waiting :D

"Because the gasoline engine is often not running — the Fusion Hybrid can reach an impressive 47 mph on battery power alone — the power steering and air conditioning are electrically powered. Furthermore, the gasoline engine and all computer controls are optimized to keep hot water on hand for the heater and defroster."

Quote from an editorial I found ^^

The Prius has an all electric heater, maybe he was confused and is working at the wrong dealership! :D