Scott A320

Impressions from the San Diego Auto Show 12-30-09

I attend the San Diego Auto Show frequently, regardless of my next vehicle purchase timeframe. Having bought a FFH 6-months ago, the motive was to contrast my experience with competing vehicles.

Very happy to report not a shred of buyers remorse after viewing and sitting in varied hybrid products from Honda, Toyota, etc. I didn't expect to find a Saab, Pontiac, or Saturn display, but was shocked Nissan (Altima Hybrid) was absent!.

Ford had a few Fusions but, surprisingly, no FFH on display - even in the Eco section.

Interior design/function/fit-finish characteristics are very important. Ford's other products are on the rise, but the progress of Hyundai is notable. One thought echoed upon return to my FFH after sitting in varied makes; the interior needs a bit of warmth

to complement Ford's highly commendable efforts. Perhaps a modicum of strategically placed wood might do the trick? I realize automobile content is highly stratified to avoid cannibalization, but the hybrid is rather special; cross-shopping the Taurus isn't valid for eco buyers.

Strange, you would expect Ford to trumpet FFH at every opportunity, specially at major car shows. I don't think that sales is through the roof so you don't need to promote product everywhere.

I agree that the FFH is "cold" inside. I purchased a wood kit that does a beautiful job of warming up the interior. I was worried that it would look cheap but it looks great and I have had many complements. Still not as good as factory wood that I have had in the past in higher end cars.

I agree that the FFH is "cold" inside. I purchased a wood kit that does a beautiful job of warming up the interior. I was worried that it would look cheap but it looks great and I have had many complements. Still not as good as factory wood that I have had in the past in higher end cars.

Can you share kit info as to the manufacturer and ease of installation? (was it DIY or requires professional assistance?)

Thanks!!

Wonder if the FFH is just a necessary tool for FoMoCo to meet CAFE numbers ?

If it was, I'm betting it isn't anymore. They have a hot car on their hands and I hope they expand on it.

I think I read somewhere that Ford lost money on Escape Hybrid sales (maybe they make it up in volume :stop: ), so they limited the number built. I wonder if the margins are any better on the FFH. Maybe this is a show piece car, not one they want to sell a lot.

I think I read somewhere that Ford lost money on Escape Hybrid sales (maybe they make it up in volume :stop: ), so they limited the number built. I wonder if the margins are any better on the FFH. Maybe this is a show piece car, not one they want to sell a lot.

In any case, I'm glad I bought it.

I've read their problem is the number of batteries they can contract for.