Sign in to follow this  
merle

How often does Ford update the battery/system software?

I'm sure Ford is constantly improving the Fusion battery as well as the software that runs it, so for current Fusion owners, is there any way to take advantage of this improving technology? When the car is serviced, do they update the software with the newest 'version'? Or do they limit the software improvements to only once a year? Or is it that most of the changes are with the physical battery itself and not the software/algorithms? It would be nice to know that you have access to the newest versions of the hybrid software as it's developed.

Edited by merle

The inner geek in me was wondering this too. Like we can do software updates to Sync, would Ford actually do updates to the Fusion software? They know it works, would they want to try to optimize stuff? Would they take a risk of totally borking something that already works?

I think it would be awesome if somehow they had a software update that could optimize how the battery works or add additional display information.

They have pretty regular updates to the main computer system. Ford will likely not alter anything that does not have to do with fixing an issue. There have already been several (depending on when your car was built). There were a few issues fixed after my car was built and I was thinking about bringing it in for an update. Usually the dealer won't just "update" your car because you want them to. The time and service bay cost money so they want to bill it out to Ford. In order for that to happen you have to report and issue that is fixed by one of the updates. I had my dash display flicker on and off once - and when I called they said there was a service note on it so I can get it updated. I'm waiting a bit longer as usually they just update to the latest.

Jon

The inner geek in me was wondering this too. Like we can do software updates to Sync, would Ford actually do updates to the Fusion software? They know it works, would they want to try to optimize stuff? Would they take a risk of totally borking something that already works?

I think it would be awesome if somehow they had a software update that could optimize how the battery works or add additional display information.

Two simple questions:

1) Is there a way to tell what level of firmware is in the "system"?

2) Is there a list of "firmware updates"?