Sign in to follow this  
Zacher

My first complaint

Where do I start... ok.. temps have hit -25C (-32 with windchill) so I'm outside fishing for my Block Heater Cord. Now as most of the Northern US Residents, and nearly all of Canada know the cord is usually located tucked away somewhere on eitehr the driver or passenger side.

Well this one is in plain site, on passenger side near the gas engine on top.. Bonus point. Here's the complaint.... the cord is wrapped inside a large tube. The amount of cord you can maneuver with is no longer the 3 feet! Normally I'd hang the cord out the hood, or run it down to the grill. Well that isn't happening with this setup. My car is sitting outside w/ the hood resting on the tube, propped open. No way to close the hood on the cord. This is just unbelievable, so if you've found a way to rectify this.. please let me know! Perhaps is as simple as rigging my own smaller cord, plug in under hood and route it....

Sigh ford... sigh.

Where do I start... ok.. temps have hit -25C (-32 with windchill) so I'm outside fishing for my Block Heater Cord. Now as most of the Northern US Residents, and nearly all of Canada know the cord is usually located tucked away somewhere on eitehr the driver or passenger side.

Well this one is in plain site, on passenger side near the gas engine on top.. Bonus point. Here's the complaint.... the cord is wrapped inside a large tube. The amount of cord you can maneuver with is no longer the 3 feet! Normally I'd hang the cord out the hood, or run it down to the grill. Well that isn't happening with this setup. My car is sitting outside w/ the hood resting on the tube, propped open. No way to close the hood on the cord. This is just unbelievable, so if you've found a way to rectify this.. please let me know! Perhaps is as simple as rigging my own smaller cord, plug in under hood and route it....

Sigh ford... sigh.

I had mine dealer installed on my FFH and I discussed it with the mechanic before he installed it. Mine comes out the lower bottom grill right next to the fog light and only about 2" stick out and unless you are looking for it you most likely will miss it. Just enough sticking out to take off the cap and hold it while I plug it in. I'd have the dealer reroute it.

Just curious, what kind of mileage are you all getting?

I would think that if I lived far enough north that I needed a block heater, the temps would be so low for much of the year that the hybrid tech would not make enough of an improvement to justify the price premium.

What do you get, maybe 4 months of temps above 60 degrees?

Gas is not priced high enough YET to justify the price increment unless you got a tax incentive or C4C. I suspect in some cold climates there is no fuel savings when the ICE has to run all the time just to keep itself warm. Don't the trucks and other heavy equipment run 24/7 up in Canada? The old piston aircraft engines had to have the oil drained out of them after shutdown and stored in a warm place. Multi-viscosity oil and turbine engines solved much of that problem. Florida is filled with Canadians. What are you guys doing still up there? I thought the Hydro-electric was automated and had only one operator. I know, needing money for food clothing and shelter is a drag.

Gas is not priced high enough YET to justify the price increment unless you got a tax incentive or C4C. I suspect in some cold climates there is no fuel savings when the ICE has to run all the time just to keep itself warm. Don't the trucks and other heavy equipment run 24/7 up in Canada? The old piston aircraft engines had to have the oil drained out of them after shutdown and stored in a warm place. Multi-viscosity oil and turbine engines solved much of that problem. Florida is filled with Canadians. What are you guys doing still up there? I thought the Hydro-electric was automated and had only one operator. I know, needing money for food clothing and shelter is a drag.

There is more to it than saving gas. Nice to start up in the morning and have almost instant heat let along when I drive it and only go 3 miles that the display says is 19.8 mpg and 29.9 mpg with the heater. But not freezing my you know what on that short trip is worth something to me too. One more thing, this is with a garage which is part of the house with 3 bedrooms above and the temp is about 15 degrees above outside temps.