Sign in to follow this  
legryz

Hybrid Brake ?? Active or Not?

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if the Fusion/Milan Hybrid brake system is an active braking system? (Are the brakes "power" with the key in the first ignition postion?)

Thanks

I don't think your question is specific enough to answer. In most cars power brakes are powered by vacuum generated by the engine. Before the car starts there is usually still vacuum left to power the brakes even before you put in the key. Pump a few times and the boost is gone until you start the engine and it can generate more vacuum.

The hybrid brakes are different in a number of ways. The computer will use an electrical system to use either the resistance from the motors or to activate the hydraulics for the friction brakes. At least a portion of this system is active whenever the car is powered. When the car is not powered there is the reserve/backup mechanical system.

So just like a standard car you have brakes when you first get in before you put in the key, essentially power assisted. I have never checked to see if you get continuous assistance after pumping the brakes without the key in, or if it continues after key pos 1.

What I do know is that you get full continuous brakes without having to move to key pos 3 (start) unlike most normal cars which need vacuum from the ICE (there is an electric vacuum pump on the hybrids).

Jon

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if the Fusion/Milan Hybrid brake system is an active braking system? (Are the brakes "power" with the key in the first ignition postion?)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Jon seems like you may be the person to answer my question, I will explain abit more.

Were planning on towing the Hybrid (Milan) with our motorhome when we travel and I need a supplimental braking on the towed vehicle. The system I'm using works with power brakes (Deactivated, no vaccum). This system will work without power brakes (or what they call dead brakes,I think) but I will need to get a pressure reducer, to reduce the air pressure that activates the brake pedal, otherwise to much pressure is applied to the brake pedal. Not sure what really will happen but maybe brake lockup.

Thats pretty much why I need to know what kind of system the Ford Hybrids have or how they work.

Thank for the Replies

LarryG

First off, are you talking about a flat tow or a dolly tow? The reason I ask is that there is a TON of conflicting information on flat-towing the FFH. The latest I have heard from ford is *NO*. There are plenty of places that say it is fine but it looks like the latest rev of the Dinghy guide is saying no. It all boils down to the fact that there appears to be no true neutral in the car in the traditional sense. Neutral just tells the computer to keep the coils open on MG1, which means it spins freely when the wheels or the ICE spins. Without an active cooling or lubrication system this would likely not be good.

The manufacturer of the braking system would know best, but I think they would have to develop or tune the system for the FFH. Only the 2nd half of the pedal travel is going to be "like" the power brakes of a normal car, assuming they connect to the actual pedal system. You might have to wait a bit or be the first customer to beta test towing a FFH (?>;)

Jon

Thanks for the reply Jon seems like you may be the person to answer my question, I will explain abit more.

Were planning on towing the Hybrid (Milan) with our motorhome when we travel and I need a supplimental braking on the towed vehicle. The system I'm using works with power brakes (Deactivated, no vaccum). This system will work without power brakes (or what they call dead brakes,I think) but I will need to get a pressure reducer, to reduce the air pressure that activates the brake pedal, otherwise to much pressure is applied to the brake pedal. Not sure what really will happen but maybe brake lockup.

Thats pretty much why I need to know what kind of system the Ford Hybrids have or how they work.

Thank for the Replies

LarryG

thanks Jon

Yes I'm talking flat towing and the system is connected to the brake padel. I've read that the Escape/Mariner hybrids are being flat towed and they done have Active brakes. The owners manual states that the car can be towed flat.