Sign in to follow this  
legryz

Towing Question

Hi all

My wife is looking at replacing her leased (running out) 2007 Lincoln MKZ AWD with a hybrid Fusion or Milan. She was going to buy the lease out but after finding out that we cannot tow the MKZ four wheels down, behind our motorhome, we pretty much decided on the Ford Hybrid. The question I have is, what does it say in the 2010 Hybrid owners manual on Receational Towing?

I've checked the Ford web site and they say the Hybrid can be towed with the wheels down but I would like to know it says that in the manual.

Thanks

LarryG

Here is what I cut out of the Fusion Hybrid owners manual I got on line.

RECREATIONAL TOWING

An example of “recreational towing” is towing your vehicle behind a

motorhome.

Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to

prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle. Refer to the Climate

controls chapter for more information.

Note: If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, follow

these instructions:

• Tow only in the forward direction.

• Release the parking brake.

• Place the transmission shift lever in (N) Neutral.

• Place the ignition to the accessory position (refer to Starting in the

Driving chapter).

• Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h) but you should always obey local

speed limits.

• Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning

of each day and at each fuel stop.

You also have the option of trailering the vehicle with its front wheels on

a dolly, or trailering with all four wheels off the ground.

For other towing requirements, refer to Wrecker towing in the Roadside

Emergencies chapter.

Thanks Dave thats pretty much what I was looking for. Monday we'll go to the daeler and see what we can find, we have a few weeks before the MKZ goes back.

Only thing I wouldn't worry about is the part on the climate control. I have towed many vehicles in the past but never had fumes come inside as I just make sure nothing is running. Also you may want to make sure you can get a towing setup for the Hybrids. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't have one as it is such a different vehicle. But I have heard tell that some of them will make it for you for free or a big reduced price if you bring YOUR vehicle there for them to make the first one on.

Only thing I wouldn't worry about is the part on the climate control. I have towed many vehicles in the past but never had fumes come inside as I just make sure nothing is running. Also you may want to make sure you can get a towing setup for the Hybrids. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't have one as it is such a different vehicle. But I have heard tell that some of them will make it for you for free or a big reduced price if you bring YOUR vehicle there for them to make the first one on.

:hysterical2: They are talking about the big old Cummins Diesel in the RV putting its fumes into the car if the vents aren't shut off. My RV filled my wife's car up with fumes so bad we had to leave the windows down for a week and use an ozone machine on it.

Yes, I have an RV at the ripe old age of 40. It makes NASCAR bearable...

Thanks for the replies.

Blue Ox makes a base plate for the 2010 Fusion/Malin and I think from the radiator support forward they are all the same but I will check into it further.

My MH is on a Ford F53 chassis (front engine) with the exhaust in front of the rear wheels so I don't think I'll have a problem with exhaust entering the cabin but I can see it happening with a pusher Diesel MH

You can never predict how exhaust fumes may behave, especially in the turbulent area behind a MH. Always air it out before using.

Lee

You can never predict how exhaust fumes may behave, especially in the turbulent area behind a MH. Always air it out before using.

Lee

You sir, are correct....to the OP: I'd put the vents on recirc just to be safe...If not, then leave the back windows cracked so that smell can get out moreso than if they're up.

I'm telling you, I damn near killed my wife's old car...lol