wpm1123

Breakin Period

Are there any reccommend things to do with the car when its new? services? type of driving?

My belief is that there is nothing special that needs to be done anymore with most modern engines. I was always told to avoid babying the engine at all costs, and avoid abusing the engine during the first 700 miles or so. Of course this is in contrast to some more exotic engines like the one in a former 02 Honda S2000 that had some unique breakin needs as it came with an additive from the factory to get it to breakin(not in manual, but there was an internal Honda memo detailing this), and a warning in the manual not to VTEC the motor for the first 750 miles or so(go past 6500rpms which is the VTEC crossover).

I was always curious too about breaking in an engine. I have never had a new car before...ive always purchased a used vehicle. I did a quick google search on "how to break in a car" and guess what came up...LOL! :banghead: After modifying the search terms on google i got about 20 different suggestions relating to the "Breaking in" of a vehicle (beat the :censored: out of it, drive really fast and then really slow the next day, etc.) so i asked a buddy at work who was a mechanic. He told me basically not to drive at certain speeds for an extended period of time (what the book says).

Here is my problem: I am driving from Chicago to Detroit in January (with, i assume under the stated 1,000 miles on the odometer...unless i take meaningless trips to get over the 1,000 mile mark...i plan on getting the vehicle in early December) so is it in my best interest to drive...lets say...75 for a little bit, and then drop to 70 for a little bit and then up to 80 for a bit (the speed limit in michigan is 70...)? Or are those speeds too close together?

What have you guys been doing to break in your vehicle?

According to my calculations though, i should be able to drive from Chicago to Detroit (and back) on one tank of gas :happy feet: :shift:

I was always curious too about breaking in an engine. I have never had a new car before...ive always purchased a used vehicle. I did a quick google search on "how to break in a car" and guess what came up...LOL! :banghead: After modifying the search terms on google i got about 20 different suggestions relating to the "Breaking in" of a vehicle (beat the :censored: out of it, drive really fast and then really slow the next day, etc.) so i asked a buddy at work who was a mechanic. He told me basically not to drive at certain speeds for an extended period of time (what the book says).

Here is my problem: I am driving from Chicago to Detroit in January (with, i assume under the stated 1,000 miles on the odometer...unless i take meaningless trips to get over the 1,000 mile mark...i plan on getting the vehicle in early December) so is it in my best interest to drive...lets say...75 for a little bit, and then drop to 70 for a little bit and then up to 80 for a bit (the speed limit in michigan is 70...)? Or are those speeds too close together?

What have you guys been doing to break in your vehicle?

According to my calculations though, i should be able to drive from Chicago to Detroit (and back) on one tank of gas :happy feet: :shift:

First I'd try to get as many miles on the car as possible before the trip but at least the first 200 I'd drive 55 to 60 and then after the 200 mile mark maybe 65 with a touch of 70 but I would keep it under 70 for at least the first 1K I feel more people abuse the brakes than the engine by hard stops etc. heating them up which warps the brakes and then you get the pulsating brakes and squeals. Mostly just common sense will do as I've had plenty of new cars without any problems that could have been caused by hot rodding a new engine which I don't do.

On cruise control on interstates, the rpm varies considerably even on gentle hills. The average rpm at 70 mph is low anyway, about 1900 rpm. i wouldn't worry about it. Use cruise control. It varies the engine power a lot.

Lee