emillham

5K service

At the 5000 mile mark Monday, my local mechanic rotated the tires, visually checked the dust boots for tears, struts for leakage, brakes, brought spare tire up to 60 psi (was at 40 psi). Fifteen minutes, $20. I did all the rest of the multi-point. I do plan to go into dealer at 10,000 miles for first oil change. I didn't buy the car there.

Lee

Did anyone else notice that the tire warranty is only good if you have them rotated at least every 7,500 miles? So if you wait until 10k to have them rotated with the oil change, your tire warranty won't be any good.

I didn't notice that, I'll have to check. I always do the first oil change early so I did it at 5,000. I also happened to rotate my tires at the same time so I'm safe until next time.

Jon

Did anyone else notice that the tire warranty is only good if you have them rotated at least every 7,500 miles? So if you wait until 10k to have them rotated with the oil change, your tire warranty won't be any good.

I went to Discount Tire and they sold me the extended warranty in which they fix all flats for free and if not fixable replace with new for free no matter what. I have used this in the past a couple times and put this coverage on every new car I buy. By the way they said the tires run about $190 per tire. Tire Rack says $179 for the tire. So time you pay tire, taxes, mounting, balancing, and tire pressure update you are well over $200. Got it for $22 per tire.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need no service at all besides checking fluids and pressures myself.

How many people had their Ford dealer do the 5K? Did they try and up-sell oil changes etc...?

I'm new to this as this is my first car, but does it affect the warranty if you don't have a dealer/service station do the recommended maintenances? Or does it affect also if/when you sell the car and the buyer sees you don't have records to show it was maintenanced as suggested?

From the Dealer

And when my wife called the dealer they of course recommended an oil change, full inspection etc... Actually said the oil was due at 3K. :banghead:

Love the car but coming from Audi's, Honda's etc... I sure HATE dealing with these scummy Ford dealers....

Thanks

Most dealers I encountered push for oil change intervals more frequently than recommended by the manufacturers in the documentation. Another way to increase their profit I guess.

When mfgrs recommended 5K changes the oil places said 3K based on the fact that they would say no matter what you are in the heavy service category. Then many manufacturers went to a 7K recommendation. The oil change places pretty much ignored that. Now the FFH has a 10K recommendation and the oil change places say that's simply crazy. They still want to do it every 3K on the FFH. Not a chance. Even my dealer wants to do 5K. I did my first at 5K and the rest are going to be 15,25,35 with a rotation between each.

Jon

Most dealers I encountered push for oil change intervals more frequently than recommended by the manufacturers in the documentation. Another way to increase their profit I guess.

I am just short of 5,000 miles on mine and I checked the oil to find that it looks slightly "dirtier" than fresh oil. I originally planned on changing it myself at 5K but I guess I'll let it go. It probably will make it to 10K at this rate.

I does affect the warranty if you do not follow the minimum maintenance schedule requirements. If you do not use the F/L/M dealership then insist they use products that meet the Ford specifications spelled out in your owner's manual.

Keeping the receipts for your maintenance is a good idea, both for resale value and for maintenance verification if there is a lubrication related problem. Most lubrication related issues won't be warrantable, but at least the receipts will help point a finger at the neglectful maintainer. :redcard:

My manual says nothing about every 5,000 miles I have to go in for maintenance every 7,500 miles...

The Hybrids have a 10,000 mile oil change interval which may be close to 7,500 miles (Engine Hours) on a non-hybrid. :shift:

I don't believe in that 3k crap.

I don't believe in that 3k crap.

That 3k crap had its merit at one point in time, and has only become obsolete because of vast improvements in engine design along with much improved engine oil technology.

However, it often still comes down to how you drive, and what kind of driving conditions you will encounter. There is a reason why commercial service vehicles often change their oil based on hours of operation isntead of pure mileage.

That 3k crap had its merit at one point in time, and has only become obsolete because of vast improvements in engine design along with much improved engine oil technology.

However, it often still comes down to how you drive, and what kind of driving conditions you will encounter. There is a reason why commercial service vehicles often change their oil based on hours of operation isntead of pure mileage.

Could someone direct me to where it says anything about 10K oil changes? My owners manual says 7500 miles but the dealer just e-mailed me and said I was due for my 5K service. I know they want to make extra money but I don't want to get service just to give them money. Then again, I purchased an extended warranty and I don't want to give them any excuses not to honor it.

Any advice?

Thanks,

When mfgrs recommended 5K changes the oil places said 3K based on the fact that they would say no matter what you are in the heavy service category. Then many manufacturers went to a 7K recommendation. The oil change places pretty much ignored that. Now the FFH has a 10K recommendation and the oil change places say that's simply crazy. They still want to do it every 3K on the FFH. Not a chance. Even my dealer wants to do 5K. I did my first at 5K and the rest are going to be 15,25,35 with a rotation between each.

Jon

My old Land Rover Freelander had 12k oil change intervals using Mobil 1 0w40 and I remember having the oil changed on that thing and the repair shop I utilized at the time telling me that Land Rover was nuts. I always wondered about places pushing excessively short oil change intervals since they barely make any margin on oil changes, and studies have shown that sooner oil changes don't necessarily translate into being able to sell "other" maintenance services more frequently.

Are you sure you have a hybrid manual? Mine says 10K in two separate areas, one is at the back in the service chart. 5K for tire rotations and quick-check of front.

Jon

Could someone direct me to where it says anything about 10K oil changes? My owners manual says 7500 miles but the dealer just e-mailed me and said I was due for my 5K service. I know they want to make extra money but I don't want to get service just to give them money. Then again, I purchased an extended warranty and I don't want to give them any excuses not to honor it.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Are you sure you have a hybrid manual? Mine says 10K in two separate areas, one is at the back in the service chart. 5K for tire rotations and quick-check of front.

Jon

Actually, no. This was a manual that I got off the internet supposedly for all 2010 Fusions. I will have to put my hands on the original I have but since I was at my computer last night I took the easy way. If they're recommending a 5K service when a 10K would be fine this makes it worse. I took the car to have the oil changed after 1K because it's something I've always done on a new car just to get rid of any metal fragments that may have been created during the break in period. I was also going to put a bunch of miles on it during a trip. My thought was that it sure couldn't hurt to change it early. The sticker in the car says the next oil change is due at 5000. I can't help but think it's a revenue maker.

thanks for the replies.

You are correct, I did forget that useful piece of information. I do have a hybrid. I was trying to post in the Hybrid forum... I hope I didn't miss but thanks for asking. It sounds like it does make a differenc.

Ford did the 5k service last week for me. It was $17.87 to rotate the tires and no charge for the multi point inspection. They did not advise an oil change.

OK, we have about beaten this to death. Yes, FFH first maintenance is at 5K, simple tire rotation and inspection. Maybe $20 or so.

Now onto a more important point....tire service plans. When I bought my FFH about six months ago, the finance guy tried to sell me every add-on known to man, including the tire service plan (can't remember the official name for it). Anyhow, I declined.

A couple of weeks ago, coming out of the grocery store, I noticed a nail head sticking out of the tire! OK, choice was to go home, grab the pliers, and pull that sucker out. Then I thought of the hissing sound, and the "Oh S--t" reaction on my part.

So took it into my Ford dealer, only to have him tell me that because a patch would be partway on the sidewall, they could not repair it...only replace the tire. So, with my Ford bonus bucks or something like that, it ONLY cost me $257....for ONE tire!!!

So maybe you all should consider buying tire protection from wherever you get the best deal...

These are generally $200 +/- tires so they didn't rip you off too much. Sorry about your bad luck. Tire protection programs and the like are insurance policies on which they make a nice profit. You should buy insurance for things you can't afford to lose. If you drive in an area with a lot of construction (where would THAT be now?), you might consider tire protection. If it had been in the tread, you'd have had no problems. If you have on the road tire problems, make sure the shop knows how to change tires with pressure sensors. Most of them should know by now but that's another possible $100 disaster.

Lee