Sign in to follow this  
wwoody723

IPhone Problem

Sunday afternoon, after 2:00, I took my wife to Sonic for a half price drink. We placed those famous Sonic cups in our well designed MMH cup holders located on the center console. I put the car into reverse and started backing up while watching the large back-up screen in the dash. It was at that moment that I noticed my wife pick-up my drink cup with my IPhone sticking half in and half out and while the cup was leaking Diet Coke everywhere. It seems that when I put the Milan in reverse I pushed the IPhone through the side of the Sonic cup.

My second mistake was to then pull the phone out of the cup. You cannot imagine how fast Coke can exit through 2 1/2” X ½” hole.

My third mistake was trying to throw the leaking cup out the Milan’s window before I had rolled it all the way down.

I was able to get the car cleaned up without much trouble but my IPhone no longer works. I called Apple and told them that I had pushed my IPhone through the side of full Sonic drink cup when I put my MMH into reverse. The Customer Service Representative very nicely informed me that “There Is No App For That.”

I had insurance on the IPhone but there isn’t coverage for stupidity. I’ve got an appointment with the Apple Store in KC tomorrow to buy a reconditioned IPhone.

I no longer drink and drive.

Sunday afternoon, after 2:00, I took my wife to Sonic for a half price drink. We placed those famous Sonic cups in our well designed MMH cup holders located on the center console. I put the car into reverse and started backing up while watching the large back-up screen in the dash. It was at that moment that I noticed my wife pick-up my drink cup with my IPhone sticking half in and half out and while the cup was leaking Diet Coke everywhere. It seems that when I put the Milan in reverse I pushed the IPhone through the side of the Sonic cup.

My second mistake was to then pull the phone out of the cup. You cannot imagine how fast Coke can exit through 2 1/2” X ½” hole.

My third mistake was trying to throw the leaking cup out the Milan’s window before I had rolled it all the way down.

I was able to get the car cleaned up without much trouble but my IPhone no longer works. I called Apple and told them that I had pushed my IPhone through the side of full Sonic drink cup when I put my MMH into reverse. The Customer Service Representative very nicely informed me that “There Is No App For That.”

I had insurance on the IPhone but there isn’t coverage for stupidity. I’ve got an appointment with the Apple Store in KC tomorrow to buy a reconditioned IPhone.

I no longer drink and drive.

I'm sorry but that just made me laugh. Sucks, but at least it is kind of a funny story. Any reason your iPhone was sitting behind the shifter and not in your pocket or in the center console (or even the center console on the dash)

I'm sorry but that just made me laugh. Sucks, but at least it is kind of a funny story. Any reason your iPhone was sitting behind the shifter and not in your pocket or in the center console (or even the center console on the dash)

I usually put my phone in that general area as well, in one of the cupholders. (AND I used to go to Sonic oO) The center console has grooves and I connect the USB cable inside the console, and the end that connects to the phone fed out through the grooves near the lid of the console. It's much easier/less wear and tear to not have to open up the console every time getting in or out of the vehicle. Maybe I should rethink placement of my phone.

I usually put my phone in that general area as well, in one of the cupholders. (AND I used to go to Sonic oO) The center console has grooves and I connect the USB cable inside the console, and the end that connects to the phone fed out through the grooves near the lid of the console. It's much easier/less wear and tear to not have to open up the console every time getting in or out of the vehicle. Maybe I should rethink placement of my phone.

One of the major reasons I put mine in a pocket or in the center console is that in a major accident the odds are pretty high the phone went flying... just something to think about.

One of the major reasons I put mine in a pocket or in the center console is that in a major accident the odds are pretty high the phone went flying... just something to think about.

Everything's a trade-off between convenience, safety, and money. I think I'd have other things to worry about in a "major accident", and it'd be unlikely the phone would be an issue. The fusion doesnt exactly fare that well in major accidents (from what data I've seen, at least from 2009's etc, compared to decent SUVs or even compared to prius), which was one of the few cons I found before buying the FFH. Really, if it was a rear-end or frontal collision, phone would only possibly try to go forward or backward, where no one's sitting, plus if it's in the cupholder it can't go forward or backward because it's recessed. Additionally, when the phone is plugged in it'd have to go "flying" with sufficient force to break the tether. Maybe if it was a side collision or a rollover (? it'd be very hard to roll a sedan though I would think), but even then the phone is somewhat lightweight. I'd be much more likely to stab the phone through a cup like the OP did -- just earlier this week got a weak cup from caf@work and i poked a hole in the bottom from the straw.

I'm in the business of avoiding large scale problems by mitigated the small ones, so to me the extra second it takes to put the phone in a console is worth it so that it has a higher probability of working in case of an accident where to occur. No, I am not worried about the phone flying around and hurting/damaging something, I am worried about it flying around and not operating in case the "911 assist" could be used. Not to mention I may be slightly OCD and want things tucked away :) But I agree everything is a trade off.

Everything's a trade-off between convenience, safety, and money. I think I'd have other things to worry about in a "major accident", and it'd be unlikely the phone would be an issue. The fusion doesnt exactly fare that well in major accidents (from what data I've seen, at least from 2009's etc, compared to decent SUVs or even compared to prius), which was one of the few cons I found before buying the FFH. Really, if it was a rear-end or frontal collision, phone would only possibly try to go forward or backward, where no one's sitting, plus if it's in the cupholder it can't go forward or backward because it's recessed. Additionally, when the phone is plugged in it'd have to go "flying" with sufficient force to break the tether. Maybe if it was a side collision or a rollover (? it'd be very hard to roll a sedan though I would think), but even then the phone is somewhat lightweight. I'd be much more likely to stab the phone through a cup like the OP did -- just earlier this week got a weak cup from caf@work and i poked a hole in the bottom from the straw.

hey kram where did you hear the FFH doesn't fair well in an accident ? Cars.com (and others) give it good marks cars.com is it true ?

hey kram where did you hear the FFH doesn't fair well in an accident ? Cars.com (and others) give it good marks cars.com is it true ?

I've found it hard to find much info on the newer vehicles and the "star" rating doesnt say that much.

One of the places I've looked (I'll look for some others later I don't remember where the others were) is the IIHS insurance losses statistics. The latest data it includes is for the 2006-2008 fusions.

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composit...-2008&cls=2

Medical payments are very high for those fusions at 1.34 X the "average".

Compare to toyota camry hybrid at .82, or the Prius at .79 (lowest in midsize and lowest in small), or to pickups/suvs/minivans(incl crossovers like outback) which some show around 1/3 for not only medical payments but also for other loss categories.

Of course, this data only shows up to 2006-2008 model years not the 2010 fusion "refresh" or the newer of the other vehicles as there arent statistics yet for the new ones. And of course there are other factors not shown there such as avg number of passengers carried per vehicle, which would be higher I'd suspect for fusion/cars than pickups for example (resulting in higher medical payments vs pickups), but probably not more passengers per car than per SUV. Anyways, point there is it shows much better for prius/camry than the 2006-2008 fusions in all loss categories, as well as compared to vehicles I was looking at such as the subaru outback.

The europe NCAP crash test ratings are more "detailed" than the "star" ratings, but they only show 2003/2004 models, and of course most of the vehicles are different between US models and europe models.

There's few vehicles with worse insurance ratings from the IIHS site I linked than the 2006-2008 Fusions.

The Ford operation manual warns against keeping hard objects in the cupholder since they can cause bodily injury in a collision. It makes sense wanting your cell phone to have the best chance of surving a crash in which the 911 assist feature is activated. The 2010 Fusion is a top safety pick and comparing it to crash data that includes 2009 or earlier Fusions is like comparing apples and oranges due to the redesign. The 2006 Fusion in particular performed poorly in the side impact crash test (without airbags).

Yes the partial redesign has likely added several safety features and hopefully addressed many of the shortcomings of the previous design. As I said there real is no real world data for the 2010s (marketing "top safety picks" doesnt count), I specifically was commenting on the previous year model. Personally, I can see an incredible benefit from the BLIS -- I could see that cutting down tons of collisions.