Sign in to follow this  
brdennis1

Adjustring driving lamps on 2010 Fusion

Anyone know how to adjust the driving lamps? They only project 10-15 feet beyond the car, other than for looking good, no real reason to turn them on.

Okay I can edit the content for spelling, but not the subject line - damn.

Bruce

In short fog lights are supposed to brightly light up the road surface immediately in front of the car, without causing glare from mist or fog that is in the air in front of the car. That is why they are low to the ground and point down to the ground. It is the same reason they turn off with the high-beams. I think the low-beams kinda stink in the FFH myself (I have another thread on that). The fogs do a pretty good job in heavy fog. We occasionally get some nasty stuff here in Minnesota. I wish you could have the fogs on without the main headlights at times.

Jon

Hi Bruce. :D Same answer as over on the Club Forum. They can be adjusted up slightly by accessing them through the access panels underneath the bumper.

However, they are fog lights, not driving lights. There is a big difference in the two types of lights. They have vastly different reflectors, they throw light completely differently (fog-lights low and wide, driving-lights narrow and far) and they are not supposed to be aimed up. They are meant to be aimed down (the way they are) to avoid the glare from the lights being reflected back in the drivers eyes in foggy conditions.

In addition, because fog lights throw a wide beam pattern, they will blind oncoming drivers if aimed up much.

Not telling you what to do, just providing the information.

Good luck. :beerchug:

The purpose of fog lights is to be low enough and shine low enough that they illuminate underneath the fog.The light bounces off the road and up. I haven't had super heavy fog yet but from the looks of how they are angled I would say they will do exactly what they are meant for.

I'll have to try it again, the manual says it that they should work alone. Likely I have to have the switch in manual off not auto. In auto they only come on with the headlamps even with the switch pulled out.

Jon

I have had some pretty bad fog on several occasions since buying my '07 Fusion. The beam is extremely effective for that.

BTW, I think it's strange the FFH's fog lights only work in conjunction with the head lamp beams. Is it still a pull-out style switch to activate the fog lamps? If that is the case, you may be able to swap out the switch for an older style if it just the switch mechanically disallowing the separate operation of the lamps.

I'll have to try it again, the manual says it that they should work alone. Likely I have to have the switch in manual off not auto. In auto they only come on with the headlamps even with the switch pulled out.

Jon

On our FFH you can turn the foglights on without the headlights. Just pull the switch that turns on the foglights and only turn it to the parking light indicator. The foglights and parking lights will then be on without the headlights.