wstcoaster07

Tint - back side "triangle" cuts question

I got my FFH tinted today (opted for the 30% metallic tint which ran me 360 after tax) The guy seemed very knowledgeable about the back window and said they sand the dots prior to tinting which lets it stick to them. There is some separation which he said is normal I just have to bring it back in 1-2 weeks for them to touch it up. He said it is cmpletely normal and after I bring it back you will not be able to tell at all. BUT on to my real question:

I noticed after I got home that they dont bring the ting behind the rubber "gasket" on the triangle pieces on both rear windows. So, when looking for the outside, you see a clear color distinction from where the gasket butts up against the window and where the tint is. Have you all noticed this or have your tint shops been able to tint behind that gasket? It is raining right now but I will try to take a pic of it later

Hi wstcoaster. :D Some tint shops tint the rear quarter windows properly by applying the tint behind the rubber trim. In this way, the entire rear quarter window is tinted and you do not see that rubber trim from the outside. Others do it the easier way (like yours).

And no matter what your tint shop may say, it can be done the "proper" way.

If it were my car, I would request they do it "properly".

Good luck. :beerchug:

I guess the question is though has anyone had their FFH done properly on those triangle pieces? That piece of rubber looks like it is firmly on there and not sure if it can be removed for tinting and then replaced without damaging it/messing something up

I guess the question is though has anyone had their FFH done properly on those triangle pieces? That piece of rubber looks like it is firmly on there and not sure if it can be removed for tinting and then replaced without damaging it/messing something up

I hadn't noticed a problem before your question was raised so I checked today. The tinting on our MMH was under the rubber and you cannot see the edge of the tinting material.

I hadn't noticed a problem before your question was raised so I checked today. The tinting on our MMH was under the rubber and you cannot see the edge of the tinting material.

Looks like I will have to ask them to go under that rubber piece somehow. Any chance you can take a pic (in case he says it isn't possible)

post-4182-1255216966_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, will definitely bring this up when I bring it back for them to complete the back window dots. Hopefully the guy doesn't hassle me cause if they have to use all new tint to fix the problems, it is going to cost them. I read somewhere that the tint I used costs them 750 a roll (enough for 3 standard cars)

On a side not, did my first fill up from the tank that came with the car.... 524 miles, 15.32gal at fill up, 34.2 mpg (~70% hwy @avg speed of 70-75, a/c set to ~72, recirc)

Got mine done all of the way past (underneath) the gaskets.

Go to tintdude.com forum section. There's TONS of info about that issue in there, plus any and all you need or want to know about tinting. Here's the direct link to the Fusion part:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21464

Good luck.