Sign in to follow this  
lolder

Front Suspension "Clunk"

Almost every time I back out of the garage the first trip of the day and drive down the street over a manhole cover, there is an unusual "clunk" from the vicinity of the left front suspension. It does not repeat over subsequent bumps; nor can I return to the garage including exiting and re-entering the car and duplicate the issue. The dealer wanted it left overnight which is reasonable and I have not done that yet. He had no messages about it. I thought I'd check here first.

Lee

I had the issue start as a mild clunk when backing out of the garage. It started as only making the noise when backing of my garage but it became worse over time. I took it to the dealership and they ended up replacing the engine subframe. Took them about 3-4 days total.

Was this on a FFH and due to a cracked frame as mentioned elsewhere in this forum in regard to earlier model Fusions?

Lee

Our FFH is in the garage for the 3rd time yesterday, for the "clunking" sound. Ours makes the "clunking" noise on turns. Dealer said the end links were loose on the 2 times before this. This time, they wanted to keep the car. I have not heard yet today what they think it is.

It would help us all if you guys would post what year and model you have? That way we can begin to judge which are the "clunkers" or not. For instance, I'd like to know if any 09s or 2010s have suffered cracked frames yet.

Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside looking forward to my new Fusion. Cracking frames, OHHH Boy.....

My "clunk" over only the first bump of the day is in a FFH with 4600 miles on it and it hasn't changed from day 1. It doesn't creak or "clunk" in turns, only the first manhole cover down the street (May--be it's the manhole cover? Nah, sometimes I avoid it and the first pavement tar strip or something like that causes it.) You can't make it do it thereafter no matter how hard you try. What is the front wheel end play that the scheduled maintenance wants checked?

Lee

Our's is a 2010 FFH. with about 2800 miles on the ODO. The wife picked it up from the dealer last night, and she said they removed and replaced (with the same parts, not anything new...) the sway bar and end links. They left the ticket open. The last 2 times, they just tightened the end links.

She said so far, no clunks. I have not driven it yet.

She's mad because they messed up the seat. Probably a screwdriver in the back pocket.....

I will post updates when anything changes.

The "clunk" is back.....

It's been about a week and a half since they had it last. The dealer removed and replaced the sway bar and end links last time (with the same parts, not new ones...). Right now, it only seems to "clunk" when making right turns. We take it back to the dealer on Wednesday(tomorrow).

Our car is a 2010 FFH. Build date 7/09 3,250 miles on the ODO.

Yes, it can be heard over the radio. You can kind of feel it through the floor.

It first started with making right turns. Then it started doing it when turning left. Then you can really hear it.

They took off the sway bar and put it back, and now it's starting with right turns again. The wife did not wait for it to start doing it on left turns this time, she took it right to the dealer while she could easily reproduce it.

I'll see what the dealer says tomorrow.

-brian