Sign in to follow this  
jtonkin

Back up light quality on 2010 models

Anyone else notice they suck compared to the first gens?

I back in to my driveway everyday and when looking in to the side view mirrors, it seems like there's barely any light. I dunno if it's just not a wide angle light like my 2007.

I tried to back up on a pitch black night, I tried to use the rearview camera and still backed into the ditch. OOPS! It doesn't help that the normal red taillights mixes with the white backup light to create this weird orange hue that distorts everything on the screen. I agree it is terrible.

I tried to back up on a pitch black night, I tried to use the rearview camera and still backed into the ditch. OOPS! It doesn't help that the normal red taillights mixes with the white backup light to create this weird orange hue that distorts everything on the screen. I agree it is terrible.

Have you looked for any aftermarket backup bulbs? J.C. Whitney for one have some 50W halagon backup bulbs but since my Fusion isn't here yet I don't know what type of bulb it takes.

I just put in the Silver Star bulbs. Wish I put one in first then looked to see the difference. Oh well... I'll report back when I try them at night.

I just put in the Silver Star bulbs. Wish I put one in first then looked to see the difference. Oh well... I'll report back when I try them at night.

I'll be interested to hear whether you think the SilverStars are any brighter (not just "whiter"). A stock 921 is rated at 18W. If the SilverStars are also 18W, in theory they should not be significantly brighter.

If any of you are into modding, here is a way to get a brighter bulb into your backup lights: Backup Lite Mod....w/Pix

And BTW, do NOT put in the various LED 921 replacement bulbs that are out there. Have read a couple of threads on other forums where people tried this and got about half the light of the originals. The reflectors are designed to work with a conventional filament bulb!

I've been holding off replying to experience them some more, but on the couple of times so far I've used them, I haven't noted an extraordinary difference, if any. Maybe if I get bored one night, I'll put an old one back in and look at them together, as I should have in the first place.

Both being 18 watts isn't a suprise, I'm sure they don't want to blow the fuse.

I've been holding off replying to experience them some more, but on the couple of times so far I've used them, I haven't noted an extraordinary difference, if any. Maybe if I get bored one night, I'll put an old one back in and look at them together, as I should have in the first place.

Both being 18 watts isn't a suprise, I'm sure they don't want to blow the fuse.

I made the switch as well and noticed no difference... Bummer. :banghead: