Sign in to follow this  
bradleyls103

2007 SEL with 2008 Sport Rims

I just bought 08 18" sport wheel and tire set with TPMS to install on my 07 SEL with factory 17's. Will the sensors work without having to exchange? Can't I just reprogram to sport sensors?

Brad

let me know if you want to sell those wheels.

Hi Brad. :D I know that myself and others have answered this question on another thread you posted. Check there for the answer.

Short answer, it is likely your 2007 SEL does not have the TPMS system, as TPMS was not officially introduced until the 2008 models. Easy way to tell, does the TPMS warning light illuminate briefly when you start the car? If it does not, you do not have the TPMS.

See your other thread for more information.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Yes, September 1, 2007 was the federally mandated year for TPMS on ALL vehicles. (08) Hell, my 06 Fusion AND our 06 Explorer had it though. My wife's 07 Edge does too. Ford started rolling it out in 06, in everything but the trucks.

Now that that's out of the way, OP, yes, you can swap the TPMS from rim to rim. You will have to adjust the readers (The part of the TPMS nobody thinks about when buying new rims) which look like little shower heads to where they line up IF the new straps you'll need to hold them to the rim is bigger. Discount Tire can do it for you, and for cheap. No, I don't work for them; I'm an HVAC guy. they did mine when I bought new rims for my 08 F150.

Yes, I love new cars, but only Ford's.

Hi FtLewis. :D With all due respect, the information we previously provided was correct and you have it just slightly backwards. Ford did not start "rolling it out in 06, in everything but the trucks". The 2006-2007 model year Fusion/Milan/MKZ (Zephyr) do not have TPMS.

TPMS was rolled out first on 2006 model year vehicles with a higher rollover danger (due to a higher center of gravity) such as SUV's (like the Explorer) and in the 2007 model year on CUV's (like the Edge).

So while some Ford vehicles like the Explorer and Edge had it earlier than the 2008 model year, the Fusion/Milan/MKZ were not among those vehicles. It was introduced on the Fusion/Milan/MKZ for the 2008 model year (thus the 9/1/07 date).

As we stated earlier, and has been repeatedly verified with Ford, no 2006 Fusion/Milan/Zephyr would have an operational TPMS system from the factory. Of course, we are speaking of vehicles as they came equipped by Ford from the factory. Aftermarket TPMS systems are available, but what someone may have added aftermarket is another story, and we are not discussing that here. We are discussing factory equipped 2006-2007 models.

A non-illuminating warning icon is located in the 2006-2007 gauge cluster, but no bulb and no operational system. Same situation with the 2007 model year Fusion/Milan/MKZ. It was not introduced until the 2008 model year, and maybe a few very late 2007's (although we still have never seen even a late build 2007 with TPMS).

If you check the Ford websites and any third party websites such as Edmunds etc, you will see that TPMS was first installed on the Fusion/Milan/MKZ for the 2008 model year. No TPMS availability in 2006-2007 Fusions/Milans/MKZ's.

In fact, if you check the Owners Manuals for the 2006 and 2007 Fusion/Milan/MKZ, there is absolutely no mention of the TPMS system. It is first included in the 2008 Owners Manual, because that is the first year that it was installed in those vehicles.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - I do not want it to seem like I am piling on with all of the back-up information I have cited, I just do not want to endlessly argue an established fact. If you do the research, you will see that your information was incorrect (only concerning TPMS being available in 2006-2007 model Fusions). No problem, we all make mistakes. :grouphug:

I could have SWORN my 06 Fusion had it, but if I'm wrong, I stand corrected. I know the 07 Edge has it cuz I got a nail in a tore heading to Denver for an Av's game one night. I thought my 06 Fusion had it too, though. oops. The 06 Exploder had it too. For sure. 3 Flats in it.

I am going to sell the 17's? What is the going rate with tires almost to the wear bar?

Brad

The tires to me would be worthless. I would only be interested in the wheels so I could use them for winter snows. Can you send or post a few pics? Where are you located/ What State? Im in NJ

Say you're in Colorado...I want the rims for snow tires too.

BTW, your TPMS (if you had it) won't do anything when you're sitting still, or up on jackstands with the wheels off. You have to drive a little ways to make it register a low tire. Just an FYI for when you do get it, I'll assume, down the line...