Stang8URMPRT

Any hopes for aftermarket tuning?

I think that Ford could have done a little better with EV operation. It could stay on longer, and the battery could fully charge while driving on gas to give you a longer range.... I know this would probably be bad for battery life, but great for MPG... I'm sure this topic has already come up... sorry if it has.

Nick

Unless they start making many more thousands of the Hybrids you won't see any aftermarket tuning as I doubt more than 1% are even the least bit interested. I for one bought my FFH when I get it for the gas mileage not the speed. Besides charging it more will shorten the life of the battery and Ford will no doubt not pay for another battery. Since the Prius battery is about $2300 plus install I bet Fords is as much if not more at this point in time as they don't have the numbers the Prius has on the market.

If I was Ford I would work really hard on obesity problem. Common sense tells me that they have done everything (and apparently very good job) on EV battery/performance package.

If that is correct and at this moment there is no better battery technology to implement right now next place to look at for better MPG performance would be total weight of the car. I believe that it is too heavy. By careful review of each assembly, part, usage of composites at right places they could possibly shed hundreds of pounds.

Example, I have Honda Odyssey mini van. Every time when I need to remove mid row of seats I am badly surprised how heavy they are. There must be hundreds of parts in the FFH that can be replaced by lighter stuff. Lighter car = better EV performance.

What do you think?

If I was Ford I would work really hard on obesity problem. Common sense tells me that they have done everything (and apparently very good job) on EV battery/performance package.

If that is correct and at this moment there is no better battery technology to implement right now next place to look at for better MPG performance would be total weight of the car. I believe that it is too heavy. By careful review of each assembly, part, usage of composites at right places they could possibly shed hundreds of pounds.

Example, I have Honda Odyssey mini van. Every time when I need to remove mid row of seats I am badly surprised how heavy they are. There must be hundreds of parts in the FFH that can be replaced by lighter stuff. Lighter car = better EV performance.

What do you think?

by lighter stuff. Lighter car = better EV performance.=A LOT MORE MONEY=LESS SALES=FFH GOES AWAY

I don't believe the "If it was possible, Ford would have done it" My 07 GT picked up 20+ HP with just a tuner. And passes emissions with flying colors... Got 25 MPG with 4.10s. Why didn't Ford do it from the factory then??

I think it's a matter of time when these cars catch on a little more (not just the FFH or the Prius), that there will be an aftermarket for it. I, for one, wouldn't mind less battery life for more aggressive throttle inputs without the engine coming on. I don't really want more MPH, just more use of the battery pack without looking like a douche going 20 mph in a 45 mph zone.

I know its a tradeoff one way or another but I too would like my FFH to allow a little better pre-ICE EV acceleration than it does. No tire smoking but as it is now you gotta feather it off the line or the ICE spools up thus the beauty of pulse/glide. I have driven an Escalade Hybrid quite a bit and it provides a little better battery accel before ICE even as heavy as it is. However the FFH clearly outshines the GM first gen implementation in every other facet.

This is exactly what I'm seeing too.

--

Michael

With my FFH any time going from a complete stop to start, it kicks out of EV mode. This is killing my city MPGs, and it seems that I get better mileage on the HWY!

What works well for me in regards to keeping it in EV mode at low speeds and accelerating acceptably is to use what I call the " push and float method". I accelerate normally with assistance from the engine and then let off the gas all the way to let it get into EV mode and modulate the "gas" pedal to maintain speed while staying in EV mode.