Sign in to follow this  
vschmidt

Observations about having a new car

Having never purchased a new car before, I noticed some interesting items, and wanted to start a list of things people wished others had mentioned to them about having a new car, or a FFH/MMH specifically.

Here's my list of observations so far. I've had my MMH since Wed 9/9/09:

The seats and surfaces (door panels, etc.) are very plush.

MMH is very, very quiet.

ICE power is nearly instantaneous when it comes on, and is pretty quiet.

MMH has lots and lots of gadgets. No amount of manual-reading is enough preparation!

The cupholders will hold large (supersized) cups easily.

Finally: for those who like and appreciate the "new car smell," DON'T take a new vehicle to Ziebart right away, or you'll be smelling Ziebart instead!

Finally: for those who like and appreciate the "new car smell," DON'T take a new vehicle to Ziebart right away, or you'll be smelling Ziebart instead!

Were you happy with the quality of work done at Ziebart? What work did you get gone? Last but not least, if you don't mind, can you post the cost of whatever work you had done there?

I am expecting delivery in a week or two and trying to figure out where I want to get my windows tinted and any other things I want done.

Were you happy with the quality of work done at Ziebart? What work did you get gone? Last but not least, if you don't mind, can you post the cost of whatever work you had done there?

I am expecting delivery in a week or two and trying to figure out where I want to get my windows tinted and any other things I want done.

So far I am very happy with the work. I got an advertised special including:

"Super Rust Protection with Undercoat"

Underbody Sound Barrier

Diamond Gloss Paint Protection ("You'll never need to wax your car again!")

Ultra Fabric / Leather Protection with Cleaning

Total: $1189, special for $799 includes 12 car washes, $699 without the car washes.

10% discount for AAA members.

From the polling I have done, rustproofing seems to be a religious argument, coupled heavily with vehicle location, weather, driving habits, and intent of owner to keep the vehicle (or sell) within the warranty period.

Sorry for the delay. Long nights this week. Any news?

So far I am very happy with the work. I got an advertised special including:

"Super Rust Protection with Undercoat"

Underbody Sound Barrier

Diamond Gloss Paint Protection ("You'll never need to wax your car again!")

Ultra Fabric / Leather Protection with Cleaning

Total: $1189, special for $799 includes 12 car washes, $699 without the car washes.

10% discount for AAA members.

From the polling I have done, rustproofing seems to be a religious argument, coupled heavily with vehicle location, weather, driving habits, and intent of owner to keep the vehicle (or sell) within the warranty period.

Sorry for the delay. Long nights this week. Any news?

Thanks. Did the sound barrier make a difference? Is the paint protection a film like clearbra or just a synthetic type wax?

As for news... nothing yet. Dealer told me last week they thought the car would arrive this week but FCC told me last Fri that it wasnt scheduled to ship until the 21st.

Those 17" 15-spoke painted aluminum wheels look good (IMO) but they sure get dirty fast - I need to wash mine (DIY) after only a few hundred miles, is stuff like Zoop Seal any good for helping to keep them clean ?

Zoop link

Thanks. Did the sound barrier make a difference? Is the paint protection a film like clearbra or just a synthetic type wax?

As for news... nothing yet. Dealer told me last week they thought the car would arrive this week but FCC told me last Fri that it wasnt scheduled to ship until the 21st.

The Ziebart guy told me the nature of the rust proofing is such that it is also a minor sound barrier. Not enough for folks to buy it just for that purpose, though. He said some people find the sound of pebbles etc. on the metal on the underside of the car annoying, and this covers those metal parts, so that sound is substantially dampened for those areas.

Not sure about the paint protection. They do have a "plastic" film, but I chose not to purchase it. The diamond gloss product is some sort of chemical product.

Also, I got my rail car info from the dealer. It was listed under a "track a vehicle" report, in the "secondary status" field, which said "shipped by rail." This is some report for a product he had access to, at a site "www.vehiclevisibility.dealerconnection.com/VehicleVisibilityWeb/currentOrderStatus..." (the rest of the URL did not print). I'm sure it is a dealer-only tool. It may be worth a shot to check again with the dealer today. In my case, he had to go away and check, then get back with me, for whatever reason.