Sign in to follow this  
wstcoaster07

How often do you plan on changing oil

Oil Change Interval  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Every:

• 5,000 miles
    • 10,000 miles

Ah, sorry I should have clarified that. By "normal" I meant what a lot of people around me were always taught to use as an oil change interval, not necessarily what a non hybrid car recommends. My mind has always been so ingrained to do it every 5k with my Jeep that it baffles me to change that way of thinking haha.

The 6 months period has to do with a combination of daily engine temperature fluctuations on average combined with the expected seasonal fluctuations seen over the majority of the operating area. They are trying to avoid the chances of moisture accumulation and the chemical muck that occurs along with it. It doesn't have to do with average driving miles so much as hot/cold Winter/Summer.

Jon

After 4 months and 9k miles, I checked my oil last night. It looked new. This after having been driven all the way from Florida to Maine and back, through mountains and coastal plains.

I did the same drive in my old (300k miles) Accord last year and had to add oil every morning :-( I love my new FFH!

Does Ford recommend synthetic oil since it's such a long interval for oil changes? I did 5k - 6k on my last car but I ran synthetic.

10k seems like a long time, I'm thinking of doing an oil change at 5k at least on the first oil change to make sure there's metal shavings or anything in the filter from the factory.

Another thing, a buddy of mine has an older fusion (V6) but he said all oil change places charge him extra money for a special oil filter for the fusion that's required.

Does anyone know if there's a special oil filter for the 2.5 liter motor too?

Thanks

The ICE in the fusion works in a much more controlled manor which is why the 10k changes are recommended. There is another thread here that went into quite a bit of discussion about the filter (and oil, search for filter). In my opinion the first change on this car (at least) should be done at the dealer.

Jon

Does Ford recommend synthetic oil since it's such a long interval for oil changes? I did 5k - 6k on my last car but I ran synthetic.

10k seems like a long time, I'm thinking of doing an oil change at 5k at least on the first oil change to make sure there's metal shavings or anything in the filter from the factory.

Another thing, a buddy of mine has an older fusion (V6) but he said all oil change places charge him extra money for a special oil filter for the fusion that's required.

Does anyone know if there's a special oil filter for the 2.5 liter motor too?

Thanks

Assuming the Hybrid model also has the 6 month stipulation, and since the average driver logs about 12,000 miles annually, in reality most owners should be changing at 6 months before they ever reach the 10,000 mile mark anyway.

The owners manual states 12months or 10000 miles. I used Mobil1 and did my first change at 5000 miles. At 10000 I will use Mobil1 EP and go the 10000 mile oil change interval.

I bought a service package and my dealer wants it back every 6 months or 5000 miles. They don't even follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Make sure you know the maximum number of visits you bought on your service package and make sure you get your money's worth.

15 oil changes, air filters, rotates, free brakes, free 30k and 60k services, and a bunch of other crap. Bought the 7yr, 75k package. Won't keep it that long though. Well, maybe. I drive it more than my truck or my mustang. I like it.

Is this maintenance plan only offered (and good) through this one dealer? I don't see Ford Maintenance Plan (good on all dealers) that offers more than 10 visits.

The plan is through the dealership, and wasn't sold by Ford. The dealership has been there for 50 years, so I'll assume they'll be around for another 7. They also give me a loaner when it's time for the services instead of a rental. I bought that plan on my Wife's Edge a couple of years ago, (5yr, 50k) and it's nice. They even have a 10yr, 100,000 mile plan. If I don't keep the car and trade it in at the same dealership, they buy the remainder of the plan back from me. If they do the service, they charge no deductible for warranty repairs which would be $100.00 otherwise.

It's a maintenance and service package...The extended warranty is different, and is also 7yr, 70k.

I rarely keep a car past 3 yrs/40K miles, thus there seems little incentive to follow a more conservative maintenance plan - yet I have no desire to "thrash" the vehicle for the next owner.

Accordingly I follow the mfgrs. suggested interval.