Sign in to follow this  
WHITEHOUSE

Dust Leaks

We have just over 5,000km on our 2010 Ford Fusion SEL. Overall we are very impressed with this vehicle compared to the 2006 Ford Fusion SE I4 that we had previously.

Once thing I had the misfortune of experiencing the other day was something that never happened in the old 2006 FF - DUST INSIDE!

I put on about 45km on gravel the other day and did create a lot of dust as it is dry around here right now. However, I had the A/C running and all windows closed inclusing the moon roof.

Once I returned home I noticed my pants were dusty, and as I looked further I could see dust sticking to the dash and around the door openings and foot wells. Pretty much everywhere I use Armoral. Then I went to the trunk to grab the cleaning duffel bag so I could clean it out. Everything in the trunk and a major layer of dust on it....so much I had to take the garden hose to my golf club bag.

Has anyone else had any problems with dust leaks? Can anyone tell me where to look for missing "dust plugs".

I'm worried these cars are designed with little concern for gravel road use.....it wasn't a problem on the 2006 so hopefully they didn't change something in the design to create a dust trap for us in 2010.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

I'd be curious to know how this ends so please do post after you've found out or had it back to the dealer. What you described would not be tolerable to me in a 2010 FF as I'm sure many others would object too.

I'd also like to know what you find out. We are building a new house that is about 1 mile off of pavement so we'll have gravel every day once we move.

Once thing I had the misfortune of experiencing the other day was something that never happened in the old 2006 FF - DUST INSIDE!

I was about to post this VERY topic.

My FFH gets dust inside rather easily. I live on a three mile dirt/gravel road, which obviously is frustrating when one wants to keep a car gorgeously clean on the outside--but there's nothing I can do about that.

But, the interior dust, especially on the backseat and its lower side panels is amazing. The gasket has a break about midways and is attached to a body side panel by the backseat. There's a bit of a gap here but this gap is no different than what I've seen with other vehicles. I basically wipe this area down with a microfibre cloth once a week. The only time I don't get dust here is when the roads have been rained on.

Well that really stinks and needs to be corrected. What good is a cabin "air filter" if the dust is leaking in by the bucketful through the doors because of inferior seals?

Well that really stinks and needs to be corrected. What good is a cabin "air filter" if the dust is leaking in by the bucketful through the doors because of inferior seals?

I just finished going through the car, pulled the back seat sitting part out. Looked the gaskets over. There's really nothing unusual, as compared to other cars.

There is definitely dust coming into the cabin. I also saw a lot of dust toward the front seats as well, but not on the dash--no more than usual. Hardly any on the console as well.

I wish I had a car lift and could look underneath. I think (speculation-speculation) that an access hole for a bolt or something else is exposed and a dust cover was not (speculation-speculation) installed, allowing the dust to come in. I think it is not on the firewall---we'd hear every noise, but on the floor pan under the seats. I'm just going by where the dust has migrated and settled.

Is thing coming in from the air vents? Or some seal/gap somewhere?

Should be more concentrated near where it is coming in.

I made an initial call to the service dept at the stealership....I mean dealership ;-)

I'm due for the 1st service (8,000KM) next week so they will look closer at that time. They confirmed that there were no service bulletins for dust in their database and that they hadn't any complaints on the 2010 Fusions sold to date.

What the service rep did suggest is that when travelling on gravel or in dusty environments to ensure that the fan is set to maximum and that the air thing is set to "recycle".....she said this would pressurize the cabin and help keep air/dust from coming in.

I did notice a tremendous amount of dust on the inside of the door openings and around the seals in there AND the trunk.

we'll have to wait and see....

Cheers

:shift: