Sign in to follow this  
FFHdriver

Question about gas engine "fan" belt

Can't see down in there too well. What does the belt drive? TIA

I know on the 3.5 it has a belt driven power steering pump. The other engines do not have that system but have electric power steering instead. That's one of the reasons I really want the 3.5 for the better steering feedback. I don't have a clue whats on the hybrid though.

Water pump?

Looking from the front, on the right is the water pump. On the left is your alternator, a/c compressor, and other crap with a splined belt.

An alternator on a hybrid, R U kidding ? (hey Rodeo I vote for the tricked out Taurus, sure the Sport would be more fun (?) but you want a long distance daily driver ...

An alternator on a hybrid, R U kidding ? (hey Rodeo I vote for the tricked out Taurus, sure the Sport would be more fun (?) but you want a long distance daily driver ...

Yea I know and that's how I'm looking at it too. The Taurus will be a bit more refined and comfy, plus I really like the new styling of the 10 Taurus better then the FF. But the Fusion has some things going for it too, small things like I saw a youtube video made by a Dealer and he flipped the front passenger seat flat forward and suggested you could use that for a laptop computer (I liked that) and dollar for dollar, I can get "more car" in the Fusion with more options. I've got time to decide but do like to gather all the info.

Sorry for getting off topic here.

Ummmm, no. The standard fusion has an alternator - not the FFH. The belt drives the water pump and I believe that is it. The A/C compressor is high-voltage electric and the power steering pump is electric. MG1 and MG2 are both high voltage motor/generators. All the 12 volt power is provided by the high voltage converter and the 12v battery is used as a 12v supply when the car is off and as a giant capacitor when it is on.

Jon

Ummmm, no. The standard fusion has an alternator - not the FFH. The belt drives the water pump and I believe that is it. The A/C compressor is high-voltage electric and the power steering pump is electric. MG1 and MG2 are both high voltage motor/generators. All the 12 volt power is provided by the high voltage converter and the 12v battery is used as a 12v supply when the car is off and as a giant capacitor when it is on.

Jon

Oh. I thought he was talking about a gasser. My bad. To answer the question; hell if I know...lol