Sign in to follow this  
RBL

2010 Ford Fusion HID upgrade HELP!!!

Good Information from Cary 28.

I successfully installed HIDs on my 2010 Fusion SE 2.5L. Mine does not have DRLs. I have a 6000K 35W Kit w/ a pair of BOW Cancellers for my lowbeams, and a 3500 35W Kit for my fogs.

The install was fairly easy, and I just lifted the coolant reservoir out of the way, and reached my hand down through the opening to reach the passenger side headlight, rather than going through the wheel well. Here are pictures of the final product. A huge difference!

fusionHIDs.jpg

How well does the 6K work in rain at night? With the OEM the road disappears, and I heard that the hotter you go the less they work in rain.

IMO visibility in the rain at night is much improved over the OEM halogens. Lines and markings on the road and roadsigns seem to almost glow, they are much brighter and more visible than before.

It is true that with cooler color temperatures there is less usable light. I chose 6000K because it provided a slightly cool blue look while maintaining great light output. Personally, I wouldn't go any higher than that, and would consider 5000K if I wanted whiter light.

IMO visibility in the rain at night is much improved over the OEM halogens. Lines and markings on the road and roadsigns seem to almost glow, they are much brighter and more visible than before.

It is true that with cooler color temperatures there is less usable light. I chose 6000K because it provided a slightly cool blue look while maintaining great light output. Personally, I wouldn't go any higher than that, and would consider 5000K if I wanted whiter light.

I actually had a choice of 4500K or 6000K, and I was leaning toward the 4500k for higher lumens and more light output. However, the installer recommended the 6000K since that was a "whiter" light with a slight bluish tint, so I went with that. To be honest, the 6000K was very bright, and the effect through the projector lens is fine. I drove throught some heavy rain at night, and the visibility was incredible when compared to the stock halogens.

I highly recommend the HID upgrade, and Ford should include it with their premium 502 packages.

I'm going with the 55W unit for my lows, that should give me plenty of light as it puts out about 600-800 more Lumens than the 35W units. Haven't decided which company to use yet.

I successfully installed HIDs on my 2010 Fusion SE 2.5L. Mine does not have DRLs. I have a 6000K 35W Kit w/ a pair of BOW Cancellers for my lowbeams, and a 3500 35W Kit for my fogs.

The install was fairly easy, and I just lifted the coolant reservoir out of the way, and reached my hand down through the opening to reach the passenger side headlight, rather than going through the wheel well. Here are pictures of the final product. A huge difference!

Any success stories / experience with cars that ARE equipped with DRL? Up here in Canada, DRL are mandatory. And I agree, the 2010 Fusion looks incomplete without them.

Has anyone tried unplugging one of the low beams, starting the vehicle, turning on the low beams and looking at the dash to see if any type of warning message or light is present? Also, most HID conversion kits draw more then 10 amps during initial start up. If connected directly to factory low beam wiring harness, should there be a concern with the 10 amp fuse blowing? Each low beam circuit has 10 amp fuse. One last question, HID bulbs should not be turned on and off in short intervals or flashed on and off, due to the risk of damaging the ballast and shortening the life of the bulb. Has anyone, with an HID kit installed, had an issue when unlocking the vehicle using the keyless entry? Low beams illuminate for a short time then turn off. Also, the factory alarm flashes the low beams when triggered...

Has anyone tried unplugging one of the low beams, starting the vehicle, turning on the low beams and looking at the dash to see if any type of warning message or light is present? Also, most HID conversion kits draw more then 10 amps during initial start up. If connected directly to factory low beam wiring harness, should there be a concern with the 10 amp fuse blowing? Each low beam circuit has 10 amp fuse. One last question, HID bulbs should not be turned on and off in short intervals or flashed on and off, due to the risk of damaging the ballast and shortening the life of the bulb. Has anyone, with an HID kit installed, had an issue when unlocking the vehicle using the keyless entry? Low beams illuminate for a short time then turn off. Also, the factory alarm flashes the low beams when triggered...

My low beams do not flash when the alarm is triggered, just the hazards. I have had one issue with the HIDs being switched off and on frequently. It was an overcast day and I went under a lot of bridges which triggered the autolights, then they switch off 5-10 seconds later. This happened 4-5 times over 5 minutes. 20 minutes later when I got home and drove into the garage, the autolights did not turn on. My garage is dark so normally when I drive into the garage the lights come on. They didn't, so I thought my lights were dead or something. I switched from auto to on and they still wouldn't come on (The fogs worked, however). I turned off the car completely, turned it on and they worked again.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it hasn't happened since. I don't know how OEM systems deal with this situation, but to me this just seems like something you have to be wary of with HIDs. They shouldn't be switched on and off quickly. On overcast days like that I turn the lights off or on instead of leaving them on auto.

The lights turn on for about 20 seconds every time I unlock the car in the dark which is normal. This hasn't created any problems. I think its the difference between doing it once and doing it 5-6 times in a short period of time.

My low beams do not flash when the alarm is triggered, just the hazards. I have had one issue with the HIDs being switched off and on frequently. It was an overcast day and I went under a lot of bridges which triggered the autolights, then they switch off 5-10 seconds later. This happened 4-5 times over 5 minutes. 20 minutes later when I got home and drove into the garage, the autolights did not turn on. My garage is dark so normally when I drive into the garage the lights come on. They didn't, so I thought my lights were dead or something. I switched from auto to on and they still wouldn't come on (The fogs worked, however). I turned off the car completely, turned it on and they worked again.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it hasn't happened since. I don't know how OEM systems deal with this situation, but to me this just seems like something you have to be wary of with HIDs. They shouldn't be switched on and off quickly. On overcast days like that I turn the lights off or on instead of leaving them on auto.

The lights turn on for about 20 seconds every time I unlock the car in the dark which is normal. This hasn't created any problems. I think its the difference between doing it once and doing it 5-6 times in a short period of time.

Thanks for the info. I am still hesitant about installing them. I have a 2010 FFSE. I'm hoping that the low beams turning on when unlocking and the alarm flashing the low beams can be programmed out by the dealer. I haven't found a definate yes or no answer to the question: Does a 2010 FFSE have a bulb out warning indicator or message? It seems that '06-'09 have an indicator. What year is your fusion?

fusionHIDs.jpg

Looks great! Do you know for certain if the BOW cancellers were required, or did you install them just to be safe? Did you use factory low beam wiring to power the HID kit or a relay?

I have a 2010 hybrid with all the bells and whistles. I never had any bulb out warning of any kind (even when I turned the car on with all lights disconnected).