sobayimage

Cash-For-Clunkers

I just picked up my FFH from my local dealer last week under the Cash-for-Clunkers program. I really have enjoyed the car and it’s all it was advertised to be. I don’t know if anyone else had the problem I had when it came to signing the Federal government's paper work. The dealer has to write down the estimated true scrap value of the car turned in and from that the dealer is allowed to keep $50. I was supposed receive the remaining amount as stated on the cars.gov web site. After a few disagreeable moments the dealer relented and said I would get the difference of the stated scrap value. I have yet to receive the money. Has anyone had a problem like this?

At the cars.gov web site on PDF 4 the last two sentences at the bottom of the page read :

"The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. The scrap value, minus $50 the dealer keeps for administrative fees, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.

As I read this the dealer can keep $50 of the scrap value of the cash-for-clunkers car and rest goes to the purchaser.

Not sure I understand, you work a deal with the dealer then they get all the (CFC) money from the government ((yea you sign papers but its up to the dealer to get $$$ from Uncle Sam))(((just saw on the news some dealers are hanging on to the clunkers in case the government doesn't follow through with $$$)))

I just picked up my FFH from my local dealer last week under the Cash-for-Clunkers program. I really have enjoyed the car and it’s all it was advertised to be. I don’t know if anyone else had the problem I had when it came to signing the Federal government's paper work. The dealer has to write down the estimated true scrap value of the car turned in and from that the dealer is allowed to keep $50. I was supposed receive the remaining amount as stated on the cars.gov web site. After a few disagreeable moments the dealer relented and said I would get the difference of the stated scrap value. I have yet to receive the money. Has anyone had a problem like this?

I don't think it has to do with anything related to the scrap value. I believe it is based on the fuel mileage. Go to the web site and look at the chart. The dealer is supposed to credit you with that value, then they get reimbursed by the federal government. Anything less then I believe there is probably fraud involved or the dealer is at least mistaken, probably the first. Never, never deal with a car dealer unless you are informed before hand. The amount is either 3500 or 4500.

I asked about the additional scrap value and the finance guy looked at me like I was asking for his retirement money and his kids college money. The program is states that additional scrap value in excess of $50, goes to the customer---in addition to the $3500/$4500. Luckily, the sales manager was in the know and said that additional money would be sent in a check. The cars are piling up in the lot now that they are allowed to keep them until they get paid, so I'm not expecting any money for awhile---if ever.

I bought my Sterling Grey FFH 502A Saturday---still learning everything. Traded in a 96 Ranger w/264K that I bought new---roll-up windows, manual locks, etc.---BIG change with all of these newfangled gadgets like power windows.

Not surprising others are having issues with this. As luck would have it (or not), my car arrived today. I brought up the scrap value and the salesman also looked at me like I was from pluto. He said the dealer gets $150 for it and they keep all of it. When I mentioned the cars.gov website said the dealer can only keep $50 he gave me some sob story about how they haven't been paid yet for any of the 150 C4C deals they've done.

I dropped it at that because I wasn't signing anything today. Tomorrow when I go in I'm bringing print outs from the website. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of leverage because the FFH is such a hot seller. I'm already getting A Plan pricing and I know some dealers won't even give the FFH for AXZ Plans.

I'll report back here how it goes, I'm not expecting much.

Thanks for the info. This one slipped past me. I did the CFC on the Friday it was approved and did not expect to get anything back as far as scrap value. Of course I turned in a 1986 Ford LTD II but it only had 66,000 original miles on it so maybe I will still get something.

So the dealer estimates the scrap value of the car turned in and from that the dealer is allowed to keep $50. & they mail you the rest ? (the FAQ on cars.gov doesn't say)

The dealer is required to disclose the scrap value. They keep the first $50, you get the rest on the spot. I traded in my 96 Explorer with 105k miles 2 weeks ago and they took $4,500 off the price plus another $200 scrap value. The actual scrap value must have been $250. They didn't hassle me at all on this. If your not getting the scrap value up front I suspect some type of fraud. I would take my business elsewhere.

At the cars.gov web site on PDF 4 the last two sentences at the bottom of the page read :

"The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. The scrap value, minus $50 the dealer keeps for administrative fees, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.

As I read this the dealer can keep $50 of the scrap value of the cash-for-clunkers car and rest goes to the purchaser.

When I asked my dealer salesperson, he readily admitted that they would like to keep all of the scrap value in order to make up for giving me Z plan pricing. I did not have a problem with it but I really do not know how much it really puts the dealer out to give Z plan pricing or any of the discount plans for that matter.

I caved :doh:

When I signed the flurry of papers I didn't see anything about the scrap value anywhere. Is there a standard "Cash for clunkers" form? This week has given me major paperwork/stress fatigue and I just wanted it over with. So I didn't push them for the scrap value. My (old) car is probably worth more than most in terms of scrap too, it's a large towncar in good condition with good leather seats/tires/etc.

Oh well. I'm focused on the future. Driving my FFH made me forget all about that.

Hmmm. Sounds like different dealers do the clunker deal different. I did not sign a mountain of parerwork when I did my clunker deal, just the normal papers that go with a car deal; loan papers, etc.

Z plan is pretty stingy. The dealer gets a spiff check from Ford which I understand is a few hundred bucks per sale, but A/Z/D plan prices are pretty much at or just below actual dealer cost (dealer invoice minus holdback). I would have no problem letting them keep the scrap value.

I did sign a mountain of forms for the normal stuff, clunkers, and a couple for Z plan. I was really shocked when the salesguy kept pulling out of his desk page after pager after page. The bulk was clunkers stuff so maybe some dealers somehow fill it out on their own but as for customer signatures....

They estimated my car at $175 scrap. So no problem there for me to let them keep it. I also figured they weren't getting massive comp bucks from Ford on it. I helped a little more and bought one of the extended warranties and the paint/interior sealant.