Sign in to follow this  
hoyafan

Hybrid Ford Fusion Gets Excellent Rating in Consumer Reports

They must have driven like me...I stink in this game. I guess I'm lead-footed as I get only about 36MPG :(

Yup, found my results were different when i "stepped on the gas" more. When I did that my mileage went down to 33-35, went back to easing up on the gas a bit and not easily hit 39-40.

As far as Consumer Reports loving the FFH, i read their review with a bit different light. I have sent them a number of inquiries on why the FFH review was packages together with all the Fusions, while the Honda Insite and the Prius were give their own full/half page write up. I got the usual CR garbage from them. Plus they never responded to my initial question of why they do not list out what each tester drives. It is still my belief that if all their testers drive foreign manufacturer cars, they will have a built in bias for that type of vehicle.

I also told them that I found they had a bias to American cars and in the Fusion review the one negative about incomplete moulding in the footwell was petty.

Dan

Yup, found my results were different when i "stepped on the gas" more. When I did that my mileage went down to 33-35, went back to easing up on the gas a bit and not easily hit 39-40.

As far as Consumer Reports loving the FFH, i read their review with a bit different light. I have sent them a number of inquiries on why the FFH review was packages together with all the Fusions, while the Honda Insite and the Prius were give their own full/half page write up. I got the usual CR garbage from them. Plus they never responded to my initial question of why they do not list out what each tester drives. It is still my belief that if all their testers drive foreign manufacturer cars, they will have a built in bias for that type of vehicle.

I also told them that I found they had a bias to American cars and in the Fusion review the one negative about incomplete moulding in the footwell was petty.

Dan

I'll be interested to see what the resale value of the FFH is. I tend to keep cars 2-3 years. This car has won more awards and head nods then I can count.

Yes, your right, we can agree on that. Just like many others, I also am a previous TCH owner, and the FFH is superior. I did love my TCH, but after owning the FFH for 3 months, I look back at the TCH with the same kind of fond moemory as I look back at my first bicycle, great memories, but no interest in going back! ;)

On a more technical point though, I am curious why reviewers keep coming up with 34 mpg as the FFH average. I haven't had a average gas mileage below 40 MPG since I took delivery. Of course it is in how they drive it, but 34?

When we consider the diversity of the cars that these guys test drive on a weekly basis, it is possible that they have a hard time driving the Ford Fusion Hybrid efficiently. Getting good fuel economy from our vehicles require no hypermiling. However, there is a slight learning curve in learning how to modulate the gas pedal to get maximum acceleration while keeping the vehicle in EV mode. When I initially got my hybrid, I found myself kicking out of EV mode far too quickly because I was so used to hitting the gas pedal beyond a certain distance in all of my previous vehicles.

The other thing is that our hybrids are very dependent on temperature, and length of the commute in terms of getting its best fuel economy averages. Cold weather kills our fuel economy, and short commutes also kill the average. It is entirely possible that the Ford Fusion Hybrid does not really get significantly better fuel economy than the Camry Hybrid except for when conditions are favorable. My best fuel economy comes when the outdoor temperature has been over 50 degrees with a commute that is at least 10 miles(this combo yields 44+mpg).

Dan

I agree...I was quite surprised to see them rate the FFH as equal to the TCH. It's particularly surprising because EVERY other major media publication has rated the FFH considerably better than the TCH.

This continues a tradition of CR favoring imports over domestics. CR has spent years recommending the TC even after the V6 Camry showed problematic reliability issues. It'll be interesting to see if they still praise Toyota after the recent recall of 2.3 million vehicles after finally figuring they couldn't cover up the issue any more.

I agree...I was quite surprised to see them rate the FFH as equal to the TCH. It's particularly surprising because EVERY other major media publication has rated the FFH considerably better than the TCH.

This continues a tradition of CR favoring imports over domestics. CR has spent years recommending the TC even after the V6 Camry showed problematic reliability issues. It'll be interesting to see if they still praise Toyota after the recent recall of 2.3 million vehicles after finally figuring they couldn't cover up the issue any more.

Yeah, that's going to be a tough one for CR to defend or ignore. In all their past warnings there wasn't much if any of a death count. The gas pedal issue with Toyota's killing folks, and they still don't know why, will prove to be interesting.

Dan

I traded a TCH for a Fusion Sport(couldnt make a decent payment amount on the FFH :( ), but the Fusion hands down is far above the Camry in quality, comfort, styling and handling. Ford built a great car and it pisses me off to no end when you see it ranked so low just about everywhere, except in owner reviews. On Edmunds, the Fusion ranks at 9.2, the Camry 8.5, the Accord 8.9. These are reviews by the owners of the cars. If that doesn't show bias, I don't know what does.

BTW my FORD accelerates only when I STEP on the gas! :)

Edited by acdii