smr2112

Heat Reflective Glass

I noticed when I got my 2004 Acura whichhas a black leather interior, that it really doesn't

get that hot in the summer (alot less than I expected). I think this is because it uses heat reflective

glass. Everybody (including myself) expects that black interiors get *very* hot compared to light

color interiors in the summer (or colder in the winter).

Anybody know if this is standard on most cars these days? What about the FFH?

Somebody interested in buying my Acura ask me about this and got me thinking about the new car.

The solar tinting built into the FFH windows won't reflect a lot of heat. I believe it's primarily for blocking UV radiation. I would suggest getting the windows professionally tinted if you want to maximize the heat reflection.

3M makes the Black Chrome series -- their BC-35 is a good level to get to reflect solar heat. Your vehicle will still get hot if you park in the sun, but it will take much longer to get hot, so the tinting really helps to keep the vehicle cooler during short trips and errands where you only park for thirty minutes or so. It's cumulative like a greenhouse, though, so if you park in the sun all day, it will still get really hot inside the car no matter how strong the heat reflection is.

Also, the Fusion has a large windshield (which of course can't be tinted), so I personally use a heatshield for the windshield if I know I'll be parking it for a while in the sun. It still gets hot inside, but at least it helps protect the dash and the leather seats from excessive UV damage.

I think some of the arguments in the internet revolves around metallic tints interfering with satellite/radio signals. Being an RF engineer, I don't really buy that since the film is so thin, and in most cases, antennas are outside the vehicle...

Have you had a chance of checking your cell phone signal--not in a five bar area, but marginal signal area?

The ceramic type that I have should not have any effect on Radio Frequency. I have Sprint and they are generally good to excellent in-vehicle coverage in the area that I regularly travel. The closest "marginal area" that I noticed is in my garage with all the garage accesses closed. I get 1 bar and no problems with making a call in those conditions.

I just now went to the website. Really looks like a very fine product line. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Ceramic and metallic tints are both films. Ceramic cost almost twice as much as metallic. Supposedly ceramic has better heat/infrared rejection. I paid extra since I'm planning on keeping the car for a while. Mine happen to be Madico - their website shows some key points of their line of products.

http://www.madico.com/WindowFilms/Auto_Products.asp

I think some of the arguments in the internet revolves around metallic tints interfering with satellite/radio signals. Being an RF engineer, I don't really buy that since the film is so thin, and in most cases, antennas are outside the vehicle.

My co-worker also tinted his car the same day but with the metallic type. We both had medium all around, but it seems that his is a little lighter shade. I'm happy with mine. I'm sure it helps my AC demand, compared to no tint (had the car for over two months and just tinted last week), when I drive home from work in 90+ degree heat.

I had my 2001 BMW 740 tinted with metallic. The antenna was wire in the rear window. AM reception was effectively made useless because of the tint but AM was not used except for news and was not missed. Satellite reception should not be affected at all and I would assume cell phone reception would not either. AM is much more sensitive to reception interference in general.

I had my 2001 BMW 740 tinted with metallic. The antenna was wire in the rear window. AM reception was effectively made useless because of the tint but AM was not used except for news and was not missed. Satellite reception should not be affected at all and I would assume cell phone reception would not either. AM is much more sensitive to reception interference in general.

I used metallic tint on my 01 benz and the only negative effect was the am radio. I received my FFH last week (Tuxedo Black with Stone Interior). I live in Palm Springs, CA where it's currently 110 - 115. I took it directly to my tint guy. During our conversation, he mentioned that he could tint the windshield! I was astonished. He said that technically, it's also illegal to tint the driver's and passenger's windows in CA but it's commonly done. He showed me his personal vehicle with the tinted windshield and the tint is so light you'd never know it was there, however, the benefits of the tint are still there. I decided to go for it and the effects were amazing. The FFH has a rather large windshield and the dash got quite hot in our broiling sun. On the drive home I couldn't believe the difference. You can't tell there's tint on it. The a/c ran on lower speed immediately and the cabin cooled very quickly. I'll let you know if I get a ticket! Until then, I'm staying as cool as possible.