Sign in to follow this  
rlawson4

Molding

Did anyone's FFH come with door moldings to prevent dings, etc. The picture's on Ford's website have it, but my FFH does not. Just wondering thanks.

Did anyone's FFH come with door moldings to prevent dings, etc. The picture's on Ford's website have it, but my FFH does not. Just wondering thanks.

I didn't recall seeing any and took a walk out to the garage to double check, no door moldings for me either.

Not sure why no body side molding on sub 50 K cars (cost saving measure ?) its not just Ford, I went to a Chevy & a Toyota dealer, none there either ! (its an $ option) but my lowly 2000 Civic came with it, like it or not.

I think the body side molding is personal preference. Some like it some don't. The FFH is the first car i have not had it on in quite some time. When I bought my '07 Infiniti G35x, it came without and I had the dealer add it. I still may get it on my Ford dedending on cost.

Yeah mine has it. Didn't realize that it was there until I read this thread and looked. Mine's not a FFH though.

Check Sportwing for moldings. Great paint and price.

I just ordered mine from Sportwing. I will report back as to how it works out.

The molding arrived today and looked very good. The paint was a good match. I will install it and take a picture. I may not get to it for a day or two.

It looks great. I must admit that I did not install it myself. However, they provided everything you need to install it. I paid the body shop at my dealer $40 and they installed it in 20 minutes. I am just not a handy person, but I think this would an easy job for a handy person. Just click on the thumbnail picture. Thanks again to poster PJFW8 for recommending Sportswing. They saved me a lot of money and shipped it the next day.

Richard

Atlanta GA

post-4068-1248455605_thumb.jpg

I think it looks good. Is you car color white platinum?

It looks great. I must admit that I did not install it myself. However, they provided everything you need to install it. I paid the body shop at my dealer $40 and they installed it in 20 minutes. I am just not a handy person, but I think this would an easy job for a handy person. Just click on the thumbnail picture. Thanks again to poster PJFW8 for recommending Sportswing. They saved me a lot of money and shipped it the next day.

Richard

Atlanta GA

My car is the Brilliant Silver. It may look White because it is a very sunny day in Atlanta. There is even more glare in other pictures I did not use.

Wow, that looks perfect!

Please report back in a week that your MPGs have not gone to crap because of that.

Seriously, my thoughts of these moldings and adding splash guards will defeat the whole purpose

of buying the hybrid! I hope not.

I can report that after several hundred miles, I cannot see a measurable decrease in mileage after installing the molding. Maybe mileage is fractionally lower. Maybe as little as .2 MPG. It is hard to tell if it is down at all. I am pleased I have installed the molding. If it can prevent the normal body damage caused by shopping carts, etc, I will be pleased.

I can report that after several hundred miles, I cannot see a measurable decrease in mileage after installing the molding. Maybe mileage is fractionally lower. Maybe as little as .2 MPG. It is hard to tell if it is down at all. I am pleased I have installed the molding. If it can prevent the normal body damage caused by shopping carts, etc, I will be pleased.

Likewise, same on mine. My car is a twin to yours in color. I installed the molding myself, but if the dealer was across the street from the house, there would have been no doubt about it---I would have had him do it. My eye kept spotting mis-alignment issues that I did, so I kept realigning the molding until it was perfect.

Quality is "factory".

I also am amazed how molding is just another "standard" component that is now being chopped from the low-tech list, such as folding mirrors, a locking compartment, hydraulic hood lifts, hood light --- no strike that one, what's the point? I wouldn't know how to fix anything under the hood anyway on the Hybrid!!!!

The molding arrived today and looked very good. The paint was a good match. I will install it and take a picture. I may not get to it for a day or two.

How high above th bottom of the door or the door crease did you install it? I have some on order. TIA

How high above th bottom of the door or the door crease did you install it? I have some on order. TIA

The molding came with instructions as to where to install it. I don't want to misinform you but I recall 14.5 inches sloping to 14 inches in front. PLEASE PLEASE check the instructions.

My eye kept spotting mis-alignment issues that I did, so I kept realigning the molding until it was perfect.

I am afraid I have the same problem with my eyes. How were you able to keep realigning it?? I would be afraid that as soon as it touched the door, it would be permanently attached. That is why I am afraid to get this. They sent me the url to download the instructions and they seemed a bit daunting with the application of the "Pro Bond Adhesive Promoter".

I am afraid I have the same problem with my eyes. How were you able to keep realigning it?? I would be afraid that as soon as it touched the door, it would be permanently attached. That is why I am afraid to get this. They sent me the url to download the instructions and they seemed a bit daunting with the application of the "Pro Bond Adhesive Promoter".

I paid the body shop at the dealership $40 to do it for me. They do it all the time. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish

Honestly, I didn't use the promoter. The 3-M tape has historically been quite good with previous vehicles for me. The key is to really clean the paint with the included alcohol wipes.

Regarding alignment... just don't press hard when applying, because you can carefully "unstick" it to adjust things. After you get it just right, then press down hard. But, if you have never done this before, I would take it to a shop, especially if your eyes are good at picking alignment issues. Because if your eyes easily detect this, a misalignment will drive you crazy.

OK, the instructions.... they are quite good, but just leave out stuff. The aforementioned slope in the previous message is spot-on. But, the instructions say to use masking tape to set up your alignment marks. I tried that and the alignment of the tape looked awful. I kept readjusting and it just wasn't good.

What is missing in the instructions is the measurement number for approximately the door edge where the door handle area is. There should be THREE measurement numbers: Door hinge area, lift handle area, back door lift handle area. But, they don't give you measurements for the front door handle area. So, what happens is that you could get a sag here. My eyes went nuts over that. If you can get past that, then you'll be good to go. Again, if the body shop was across the street, I would have paid for them to do it. The problem with today's sedans are they have all these style edges going in non symmetrical directions and amateurs like me can't easily add stuff without it looking stupid:

Front Hinge_____Front Door Handle_____Back door handle

• FRONT HINGE NUMBER is in the instructions.
  • FRONT DOOR HANDLE (door edge) area is NOT in the instructions
  • BACK DOOR HANDLE AREA is in the instructions.

Techniques about prepositioning the 3-M tape exposure is good in the instructions.

The installer, on my previous cars, put the Pro Bond on the molding 3M tape and not on the door and it worked fine. hasn't come loose in three years.

I have to admit, the molding looks pretty good and almost looks like a factory piece, not aftermarket (or worse, after-thought.) I'm not sure I'd put it on a "Sport" but it will serve a purpose and could save you some "dings." Nice job and thanks for sharing! :shift:

The installer, on my previous cars, put the Pro Bond on the molding 3M tape and not on the door and it worked fine. hasn't come loose in three years.

Got mine installed today at a collision center that installed moldings on my other cars. It's aligned perfectly. Cost was $43.