gusr205

FFH Lacks homelink

I have noticed several people commenting the the FFH's lack of homelink. I am also disappointed about this. Two days ago I was riding in my friend's 2009 MKZ and noticed his driver visor mirror was exactly the same size and mounting as the FFH. His visor has homelink. I have noticed that you can buy an MKZ visor on e bay for around $45. Has anyone tried replacing the FFH visor with the MKZ to add homelink?

Sounds like it could be a no-brainer to do this.

Two questions:

Are you sure the size and the color match very close (cause that will drive you nuts)?

Will the power connector for the Fusion visor directly match with the MKZ/Homelink visor?

Sounds like it could be a no-brainer to do this.

Two questions:

Are you sure the size and the color match very close (cause that will drive you nuts)?

Will the power connector for the Fusion visor directly match with the MKZ/Homelink visor?

Other than looking on e bay at a Fusion visor and an MKZ visor all I can say is that the connectors look the same. Since there is already 12 V in the lighted mirror I imagine that the homelink picks up power internal to the visor rather than a separate connector. From my experience in automotive companies like to keep things as common as possible. As to color match his MKZ and my FFH both have the light color interior and (to me) the color looks identical except that his mirror has the mounting bracket in tan and mine is in chrome. If I see a mirror come up on ebay I'll give it a try.

My other wish was for Memory seats. I must stand in the doorway and hold the button for the seat to go back far enough for me to get into the car, after my wife drives it. :shift:

The solution to that is to not let you wife drive it...works for me :hysterical:

Do those of you looking into this seriously want Homelink functionality to open gates and turn

on lights? Or do you just not want an ugly garage door opener hanging off the visor?

I just want to open my garage door so don't care about Homelink per se, but ir would

be nice if it was in the visor.

I ordered one of these which is fairly small and I'll velcro in the drawer or in the little recess

in front of the shift lever.

http://www.geniedoor.com/products/genie-gi...code-remote.htm

Thanks for the info! I found the exact garage door opener I needed, and it will arrive in a few days.

Do those of you looking into this seriously want Homelink functionality to open gates and turn

on lights? Or do you just not want an ugly garage door opener hanging off the visor?

I just want to open my garage door so don't care about Homelink per se, but ir would

be nice if it was in the visor.

My old Acura TSX had HomeLink and I loved it. We have a really old garage door opener and gate opener to get up our driveway (no, I don't live in a mansion, I'm just lazy). And my best friend lives in an apartment building with an electric gate. I programmed all of those into my HomeLink. Now I have two remotes in the bin at the top of my dash and despite the rubber lining, they always move around in the worst position for easy pressing. I refuse to clip them to my visors. If there was one, that would probably be okay. I can't get a universal remote (I tried a bunch of them). I'm going to be scouring eBay (after you guys get yours first since you posted it).

The '09 MKZ visor is not an exact match for the '10 FFH. The arm is a slightly different length and it has a slight additional bend. I took a look at one that was being replaced at the dealership. It looks like it could work but it won't be exact. I might give it a try anyway...

Jon

My old Acura TSX had HomeLink and I loved it. We have a really old garage door opener and gate opener to get up our driveway (no, I don't live in a mansion, I'm just lazy). And my best friend lives in an apartment building with an electric gate. I programmed all of those into my HomeLink. Now I have two remotes in the bin at the top of my dash and despite the rubber lining, they always move around in the worst position for easy pressing. I refuse to clip them to my visors. If there was one, that would probably be okay. I can't get a universal remote (I tried a bunch of them). I'm going to be scouring eBay (after you guys get yours first since you posted it).

The '09 MKZ visor is not an exact match for the '10 FFH. The arm is a slightly different length and it has a slight additional bend. I took a look at one that was being replaced at the dealership. It looks like it could work but it won't be exact. I might give it a try anyway...

Jon

Please let us know how it works for you. It would be great if you could take a couple of pic's on the install.

Thank you

I ordered a Gentex rear view mirror with auto-dim, Homelink and compass. Should be close to exact replacement since Gentex makes most mirrors for all cars. Mount will be identical; not sure about connector yet. (ordered Gentex connector for new mirror just in case)

Great, please let us know if this works. Here is a link to the company that

sells the mirrors. This is a great solution!

http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink-auto-dimming-mirrors.html

I'm thinking...why the hell didn't ford just use these mirrors and it would be a non-issue?

Ford Sync system uses the mic in the rear view mirror and FFH has a rear view camera in RVM. Do you have to give these up with the new mirror?

Gentex has a rear view camera mirror/homelink but I didn't need it since I have the Nav. As far as the mic. I will deal with that if it is an issue.

You don't have Sync? I could not find an aftermarket mirror with the mic from Gentex.

Jon

I ordered a Gentex rear view mirror with auto-dim, Homelink and compass. Should be close to exact replacement since Gentex makes most mirrors for all cars. Mount will be identical; not sure about connector yet. (ordered Gentex connector for new mirror just in case)

Nope, it is at the top of the mirror. I can't remember if the other holes are the temperature sensor or the annunciator - but the mic is a the top of the mirror.

Jon

Is the mic actually in the mirror? I thought it is in the dash (slotted holes behind the right side of the steering wheel, under the SmartGauge)

The microphone looks like it is snapped into the top of the mirror housing. I will probably move it to the lining in front of the glasses holder/reading lights. Haven't received the new mirror yet so will not take apart OEM mirror yet. Wiring should be fairly simple since it's all in the same area. Slots on dash beside steering wheel are more likely the temperature sensor for the cabin since the last 3 cars I have owned placed one there.