smr2112

FFH + iPhone

Anybody hooked their iPhone 3.0 to their Sync system?

I know you get Bluetooth connectivity for the phone, but when you

hook with a cable, do you get anything additional? All songs, contacts,

calendar, text messages (not supported on iPhone I think)...

I assume you just use a standard USB-to-iPhone cable to charge and control

it. You certainly don't need any special hookup or custom cable or anything

like that.

Can somebody describe what you get or don't get? If I can answer the phone,

I'm thrilled. I swear I see people in late model cars that I know have Bluetooth

and talking with a phone in their hands - I bet they don't even know what Bluetooth

is!

BlueTooth with the iPhone works great (even the 1st generation). It of course does the usual speakerphone stuff, but also gets the contact lists and recent call lists. (If you don't have Nav I'm not sure if the recents does anything). If you have a 3GS you also get BlueTooth audio which is somewhat of a mixed bag. There is some audio lag so it makes it annoying to watch a movie or YouTube video with it but all audio will go to the stereo which makes Pandora or LastFM nice.

If you plug in the USB it seems to kill some of the functionality. The phone goes into a "I'm a hard drive with your pictures on it" mode and you get pretty much nothing out of it. Some of the BlueTooth stuff stops working.

There is a 12V aux outlet in the center console. I have a compact 12v charge adapter plugged in there and feed the cable out through the nice little cable slots. I plug my iPhone into that. I have a tiny 16GB USB memory stick plugged into the USB slot for all my music.

Jon

Anybody hooked their iPhone 3.0 to their Sync system?

I know you get Bluetooth connectivity for the phone, but when you

hook with a cable, do you get anything additional? All songs, contacts,

calendar, text messages (not supported on iPhone I think)...

I assume you just use a standard USB-to-iPhone cable to charge and control

it. You certainly don't need any special hookup or custom cable or anything

like that.

Can somebody describe what you get or don't get? If I can answer the phone,

I'm thrilled. I swear I see people in late model cars that I know have Bluetooth

and talking with a phone in their hands - I bet they don't even know what Bluetooth

is!

Don't you see the powered by Microsoft badge, who makes the iPhone ? (that was no help but I couldn't resist) - I did see the following blog post In the Hybrid Lane

I just got a FFH with the 502A package. I also use a 3g iphone with 3.0 software.

The thing that surprised me was that Bluetooth streaming works with my phone. I thought the 3G S was the only one with streaming.

Basically after you pair up the phone to the Synch system the music plays over Bluetooth. You do not need a cable. I did notice that you get a "skipping" in the music periodically. Like a cd skip on older systems.

You have to index the phones music. Synch DB indexes on several required fields like (not sure this is exactly correctly but you get the idea) Track name, artist, album and track X of X. I had a lot of tracks that i probably got from where ever that did not have all the info. So I have to manually enter the data. For songs that I did not know the author I created an album Country Unknown, Female Artist unknown etc.

Today I discovered that you need track information. So I am going to have to sequence the tracks etc.

I understand why it is need in a Data base but I wish we had better documentation.

All in all I love the car and the 502A stuff. I find that I spend a few minutes everyday trying to try new things.

One thing that I am having a problem with is when you hit phone and redial I do not see how to cancel the call. I have to turn the radio off.

I am sure it is there but I have not found it yet.

One thing that I am having a problem with is when you hit phone and redial I do not see how to cancel the call. I have to turn the radio off.

Have you tried holding the phone button down? I do not have mine yet, but I do remember that issue with the test drive I took. If I remember correctly, you just have to hold the button down for maybe 2-3 seconds and it will hang up