Sign in to follow this  
09Silversport

painted your antenae?

Hey all I was wondering if anyone had either painted their antenae or replaced it with a better looking aftermarket one. I have the screw off portion already painted however I am not 100% satisfied because it doesn't have the same luster the car does now I know it's plastic and not metal but I am sure there is a way to get some depth to it isn't there?

OKAY I got the antennae painted last night and I did the following process, I roughed it up with some 600 grit, cleaned it down, wiped it with alcohol, taped it off, covered the car to avoid that nasty overspray. I shot 3 coats of duplicolor gray primer, 2 light, 1 medium wet, followed by 5 coats of duplicolor silver metallic, 3 light 2 medium wet, followed up with 3 coats of clear, 2 light 1 wet. After all that I still don't have any depth or luster too it. I think it looks better than the black but not quite 100% color matched. I will try and get some pics up this weekend.

Oh yeah another tip, if you do go ahead with this project there is a little rubber gasket or seal that is at the base of the antennae that paint will not stick to, found this out when I was peeling all the tape off. So it would be worth it to go ahead and mask that off so you don't have to gently scrape the paint off of it.