WPWoodJr

FFH vs 2010 Prius

I tried the link but got a 404 error.

Many thanks go out to Toyota for the FFH sitting in my driveway. I had given my friend at work considerable grief for his Toyota Pious, until he let us borrow it for a trip to California wine country, in exchange for picking up a few cases he had in storage out there. That trip was a real eye opener as to the performance of hybrids. What surprised us was how much spunk the little car had. I expected an anemic reincarnation of the Geo Metro, but was surprised to be able to pass cars on the long hilly portion of I-5, north of L.A. This, along with the electronics, cargo room (18+ cases of wine will fit, with the seats down), and of course, fuel mileage, wedged in the back of my mind for over a year. Thankfully, I didn't act on that impulse until Ford perfected their offering. Our country is better off, for I purchased an American car. I'm better off, because I purchased a superior car.

No doubt, the 2010 Prius is an solid evolution from the standard bearer, and if you're in the market for the best mileage you can achieve, this is probably best choice. If you're ready for a few more creature comforts and a polished ride, the FFH is hard to beat.

I don't own either (yet) but have kicked the tires of both - the FFH is much more car IMO but the Prius has folding mirrors ...

I tried the link but got a 404 error.

I got the same thing, so there may be a typo in the link or something... but when to get to the linked page, click "blog" at the top of the page and it will get you to the text.

I think the non-folding mirror helps with aerodynamics (mirrors closer to the body). I don't mind it. I've never had an issue with any vehicle's mirrors in over 20 years of driving (knock on wood) :)

Never have broke off a mirror but I and others have bumped into mine with a hip (in tight quarters, like in my garage) - sure wish the FFH had (or offered as an option) folding mirrors - its a cost saving matter IMO - all the gas only Fusion's have them as does the Escape hybrid, is aerodynamics only an issue with the FFH ? (thanks for the feedback, really) !

Today I went to yet another Ford dealer and make a deal on a FFH ! - however *none* of the Fusions (I checked um all, SE, Sport, hybrid, SEL) had folding mirrors ! (all new 2010s) at another dealer they all (except for the hybrids) had folding mirrors (I physically checked both times) so YMMV, be careful out there :doh:

Ordered from the factory (lot unit was tempting till I saw it had 750 miles on it)

Today I went to yet another Ford dealer and make a deal on a FFH ! - however *none* of the Fusions (I checked um all, SE, Sport, hybrid, SEL) had folding mirrors ! (all new 2010s) at another dealer they all (except for the hybrids) had folding mirrors (I physically checked both times) so YMMV, be careful out there :doh:

I agree that folding mirrors are handy, especially if you park your car in a tight garage (like ours) and need to walk between the wall and the front of the car.

I don't know, but the new BLIS and Cross Traffic Alert systems built into both side mirrors might have something to do with them not being able to fold. The mirrors have the warning lights in them and allowing them to fold might lead to their early demise.

Good thought - I didn't even think about folding mirrors interfering with blis, just assumed that the blis cable was flexible (and I bet it is) but if it was to short out (mirror fold & unfold too many times, water etc.) and cause an accident FoMoCo could be held partially responsible and they wanted to avoid that possibility ?

but if it was to short out (mirror fold & unfold too many times, water etc.) and cause an accident FoMoCo could be held partially responsible and they wanted to avoid that possibility ?

I look forward to the day where judges would get someone like that in their court room, walk off the bench, slap them in the face and tell them to learn to take some responsibility.

I think the bliss is a cool BACKUP, but anyone who does not still take a glance over their shoulder is asking for trouble

p.s. I realize you weren't saying YOU thought they were liable, just tossing out a what if

The SEL has BLISS and appears to have folding mirrors. There are a bunch of body parts that are different on the FFH from the non-hybrid sisters and brothers. Well more than I thought on the body (most of the front-end, quite a bit of the back, and a bunch of other)

Jon

I look forward to the day where judges would get someone like that in their court room, walk off the bench, slap them in the face and tell them to learn to take some responsibility.

I think the bliss is a cool BACKUP, but anyone who does not still take a glance over their shoulder is asking for trouble

p.s. I realize you weren't saying YOU thought they were liable, just tossing out a what if