Sign in to follow this  
tx_traveler

Engage vs. Empower

I've had my FFH for 10 days now... and love it.

For other FFH owners out there, which mode of the Smart Gauges do you use? I find I like the Engage (the one with the gas and electric output power) better than the Empower one. What am I missing? The Engage seems more useful to me to know where the power is currently coming from. How do you interpret the power on the Empower gauges?

...How do you interpret the power on the Empower gauges?

I have never really tried to interpret anything, just that if the power gauge goes up, then I know battery propulsion will begin to hand off more frequently to the gasoline motor. And, no, I'm not turning off the air conditioning in the car this summer.

About the only thing different that I do is that I use the historical bar graph as opposed to the leaves.

Had a comical experience this morning. A friend rode with me and was watching the economy read out. The little trip was about five miles long, from the town bank to the local Wal-Mart.

I discovered only this weekend that this journey is only about a 1% decline on the road to the store. You really can't detect it while riding in the car.

Well, so off we go. The economy graph was pegged, for the most part, at 60 mpg. About five stop signs on the way. Battery had ample charging opportunities.

So, we arrive at the Wal-Mart parking lot. Traffic was a bit heavy, so I was driving under 30 MPH--all on battery. Found a spot to park and quit the system. We both looked at the average MPG.

It said 90 MPG! HEH. I thought that was funny. Now going back was another story. Had to go UP the inclined road at about 35 MPG. Well, that's OK.

At first I liked the engage better but now I prefer empower. Essentially I don't care about the power output of the motor or the generator. I care about the power demands of my foot and the accessories. These are the only things that will affect mileage. As well in empower you get a single gauge at a glance that tells you in a fairly simple manor a ton of information: Maximum Battery/motor power currently available for motive force, current power requested by conditions/operator, current operating mode, and how close you are to switching modes.

Jon

I've had my FFH for 10 days now... and love it.

For other FFH owners out there, which mode of the Smart Gauges do you use? I find I like the Engage (the one with the gas and electric output power) better than the Empower one. What am I missing? The Engage seems more useful to me to know where the power is currently coming from. How do you interpret the power on the Empower gauges?