Sign in to follow this  
pacsai

Help needed on new FFH decision

Greetings FFH/MMH enthusiasts!

I need your help. I have decided on the FFH in Ug tri-coat with the 502A package. My local dealer has none is stock. He can, however, get one from another dealer. Here’s the rub; that car will have 1,700 miles and a remote starter ($345) that I don’t want. He has also low balled me on my trade-in but I may have a fall back position for that issue. Should I wait for another car with fewer miles to come up or should I take this one because the miles not that big a factor?

Thanks!

I need your help. I have decided on the FFH in Ug tri-coat with the 502A package. My local dealer has none is stock. He can, however, get one from another dealer. Here’s the rub; that car will have 1,700 miles and a remote starter ($345) that I don’t want. He has also low balled me on my trade-in but I may have a fall back position for that issue. Should I wait for another car with fewer miles to come up or should I take this one because the miles not that big a factor?

Thanks!

Order a new one. It took about 7 weeks for mine to arrive. Be patient.

I'll go the opposite direction.... don't let the miles scare you off.

Most "bugs" in the car will show up in this time frame, if there are any. You'll be getting a car that has been well tested. When I was in college, ages ago, I used to drive cars from one dealer to another as a part time school job. Often I had to turn in a trouble report.

Remote starter??? Ah heck, take it. I wouldn't let that throw the deal away. Cool the car off in the summer, warm it in the winter, as you are getting ready/dressed, etc.

This car is so marvelously wonderful that I don't think I would have the patience of waiting.

Thanks!

I say get a *new* one with the latest-n-greatest firmware (sync etc) - who knows what its been through in those 1700 miles (yea its been debugged but was it worth it ?) now if a big price break 1,700 miles may be ok

....Here’s the rub; that car will have 1,700 miles.... that I don’t want....

In my earlier fit of trying to wake up, for some reason, I was thinking 1,700 miles was how far away the other dealer was. If it isn't that, and if the mileage accumulated is due to a salesperson demo car, or even a customer deal that went sour, then there's some issues.

So am modifying my previous message's thoughts with this. The dealer really needs to give you a "program car" discount. That should be at least a $1500 - $2500 discount.

Thanks to all who replied!

I still haven't executed a purchase but I'm going to get some data from the dealer with the car on why it has so many miles. Was it a return or what, why not a program car or mileage discount? I'll probably just push my dealer to find another; my old car might need too much repairs to last another 10 weeks (i.e., timing belt)!

Thanks again for all the opinions!

Here’s the rub; that car will have 1,700 miles and a remote starter ($345) that I don’t want. He has also low balled me on my trade-in but I may have a fall back position for that issue. Should I wait for another car with fewer miles to come up or should I take this one because the miles not that big a factor?

There is one way to "wait" for another car and ensure that it has EXACTLY (color & options) what you want -- custom order it. Also, I suggest that you contact many dealerships in your area (or beyond if you are into road trips as I am) and ask them "what is your BEST price policy on a custom-ordered FFH?" Collect the answers (those that won't give a number such as MSRP, MSRP -500, MSRP -1,000, etc I would not do business with). I asked this of my local dealer and they knew I was ready to buy/order and I also made it clear that I was looking at various dealers for the best price and that I WOULD go elsewhere. The salesman checked with his sales manager and 2 minutes later told me they would go 3% under MSRP on my custom order. I don't begrudge someone making a profit, that is what they are there for, but in my case they are gonna make $1,500+ for watching my car come off a truck and doing PDI. I placed the order 3 weeks ago and I am waiting patiently, I suggest you might want to do this too. For the trade-in, I found during my last new car purchase that I got $800 more by selling directly to CarMax, so you might want to check that route out too, if possible. Good luck!

I think it is nuts to buy someone's used car when you can order a new one and get exactly what you want. You have no idea what happened in the 1700 miles the car was used. For example, if this was a repossession, it could have been mistreated by the person who knew the car was about to be repossessed. There are so many other possibilities. Just order a new one and get what you want. I ordered mine 4/20 and it was delivered 6/9. It was not a bad wait.