Bigern

Cold air intake

On 8/5/2020 at 7:33 PM, Bigern said:

I was thinking about slapping a cold air intake into my 2015 Ford Fusion hybrid w/ 2.0L. Any comments/ suggestions/ concerns would be greatly appreciated as I’m new to the hybrid platform. Thank you!!?

It already has a cold air intake. It gets air from the grille area. 

Don't use "lifetime" KN filters. After time, the foam seals  compress and don't seal properly. You usually see a trail of fine dust after the filter.  Just change the factory air filter at regular intervals. 

On my own fusion and any car that I owned, I have always taped up a screen in front of the air intake duct. It acts as a prefilter and traps out the larger leaves, feathers, etc...

If it's still good after 180k, then where did all the dust go?

How much dust was trapped in the cabin filter?

Besides looking at the filter, you need to carefully inspect the ducts after the filter for fine dust.

From what I've seen,  this is where the kn filters fail. Dust seems to get past, either through the media or seals as they get compressed over time.

Lot of people install kn filters and forget about them because they are lifetime. But you still have to buy the cleaning kits because they still need to be cleaned, oiled and the seals greased which is time consuming, messy and more expensive than just staying with the factory filter.

As for the cabin filter, they trap a lot of dust and dirt, it's disgusting what comes out of it. I don't know why you say it's a pain to change. I guess your lungs aren't worth the effort?

Edited by billford

1 hour ago, ptjones said:

I have my oil tested at Blackstone Labs and my results are better than when new and they said at 30k miles/15k ICE miles the oil still could have gone farther. I have used both Mobil1 and FORD oil. Just checked my oil at 12k miles on oil change and it's at 1/2 quart down, doesn't use much oil .  I highly recommend the K&N air filter just install and forget about it. ?

Paul 

So you care more about the air filter and oil analysis and disregard the cabin filter and the dust your breathing in? 

1 hour ago, ptjones said:

I guess you missed the part where I said I rarely use the cabin filter, besides it works better the more stuff that gets in it, but it's more difficult to get air through it. I crack the windows to cool the car off and don't need to use heat during the winter with a coat on.?Hopefully I will get my ordered FEHP in a months time in Sept.

Paul

You must be the only person who doesn't need heat in the winter. Your passengers must have fun driving with you. 

How do you keep the windshield from fogging? Blow at it with your mouth?

Edited by billford

49 minutes ago, ptjones said:

I do use the Defrost some when it rains or when it's real cold, most of the time I drive by myself.  Generally use Wife's New Explorer or My 2016 F150 to drive with more than myself, I hate to ruin my MPG's.?

Paul 

So you went from using your heater system from rarely,  to using  the defrost now. 

I attached a picture below from a new and 1 year old cabin filter I replaced today on a F150. The filter does not seal 100% as it plugs up. The dirt just leaks around the edges of the filter. There was a fair amount of dust after the filter but it still trapped a lot of dirt. The fusion is similar. 

Seems like your more concerned with mpgs rather than what you breathe. 

DSC_0041.thumb.JPG.cb22ccd6b5382990be0153c2cfbd1a9a.JPG