billford

2010 - 2012 Fusion Hybrid High Voltage Battery TSB at 10 Years of Age

Thanks for the update.  I will wait to get feedback to see how it works.  I would assume when they reprogram the modules the new program would completely overwrite the old program and it would assume the car is 10 years.   Hopefully this reprogram will take in all the factors needed to make an effective fix.  I would think it should consider not only the battery age but the miles driven and  the actual condition of the HV battery.  

Edited by PaulGo

I also think Ford should compensate the owners for all the money they spent trying to fix a problem created by Ford's faulty programming.

8 hours ago, SunnyB said:

Thanks much!  I've actually had the symptoms for a few months.  My average mpg dropped from 40 to about 30.  I was waiting for Spring to make sure the cold weather wasn't causing it. I've had my car for 8 yrs/81K miles.    

So is this merely a recognition that the batteries become weaker with age?

Does the new software "correct" the reduced electric operation or compensate for it?  If the latter, that seems to imply I'm never going to get 40 mpg again.

The reduction in EV operation is due to OEM software that reduces the HVB output as a function solely of chronological age. Tests by the US government and anecdotal reports show that the HVBs have suffered very little degradation. The repair should restore close to normal operation.

The D.O.E. testing showed 8% capacity reduction at 160k miles. Prii have functioned normally with 60% reduction. The car will operate so long as the HVB doesn't fail open circuit. There have been no reports of this anywhere on forums. The OEM software also stopped re-conditioning events which have been restored by the fix. Much better for the HVB. 

I fought with Ford and my dealer for more than a year until someone on this forum directed me to a Canadian dealer who knew the fix.  That was in late 2018. My six months of appeals to Ford Motor went to several layers of management, and I finally got results when I wrote to the Chairman's Office!  Ford eventually reimbursed me for over $500 in repairs, but refused, of course, to admit any responsibility. I'm glad to see that Ford has FINALLY issued a tech bulletin so others can get the fix with much less trouble than I experienced.

Don't worry about the HVB replacement. It'll probably be fine for many years.

There's another 1.5 gal after empty. Don't test this. Let the pump auto shut-off and don't put anymore in. You can damage the emissions system.

In today's uncertain times I would never go below 1/3 tank.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:02 AM, Waldo said:

I've heard a lot of reasons to not run your car to empty, but damaging emissions is a new one.  What specifically could be damaged?

I think you can get gas in the charcoal canister.