Colonel

Window Tinted Fusions, report.

I went with 35% tint, just dark enough to do the trick but light enough the cops won't hound you over

the trick to get the tint to stick to the "dots" is to get a heat gun and a stiff paint brush and heat the tint around the dots and tap the stiff paint brush around the dot's, the tint will slightly stretch covering the dots

and when it cools the dot's will barely be visible.

it took me about 3 times of doing it but it finally worked.

Can you please elaborate on this a bit? When I had my old car (98 cavalier) tinted, all they told me was to 'go outside and press on the tint so it sticks' and that didn't work, it's still bubbled to this day and it's only a matter of time before it starts to peel. I'm not wanting that issue on my new car!

Do any tint shops do this sort of method? I don't have a heat gun...

If it is DIY, when do you do it? The same day? The next day? When did you do the repeat sessions? Is there a particular setting or anything on the heat gun to use? I wouldn't want to badly melt the tint...

Thanks!

When I had my issues with the Cavalier, I was told to look into getting a glossy black vinyl on the outside of the rear windshield to cover up the top section of tint. Has anyone tried that? That would still leave the dots on the side visible though...

Few suggestions: Shop around and go to a reputable tint shop. Clean your ride very well beforehand, and most importantly, carefully inspect it, upon completion of the work.

Just got my brand new 2010 FFH done, and they ended up etching/scratching the rear glass, after they had laid the film on the rear window to measure/cut it with their olfa. They must have had a bad blade or neglected to snap a new one. I immediately informed them. Tomorrow's day three, and I'll roll down the windows and see if they screwed anything else up, then we'll talk about a resolution to the problem.

What level of Tint did you go with? I'm leaning toward a lighter shade (FormulaOne Comfort 50), but I'm also considering the next step darker (FormulaOne Comfort 38).

I've got an appointment on Friday morning to have it done.

--

Michael

2010 FFH Brilliant Silver, Light Stone Interior.

Just got my brand new 2010 FFH done.

What level of Tint did you go with? I'm leaning toward a lighter shade (FormulaOne Comfort 50), but I'm also considering the next step darker (FormulaOne Comfort 38).

--

Michael

Hi Michael,

I went with legal 35% all around (Tennessee law). Llumar High Performance Series, ATR 35 CH SR HPR

http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarAutoSpecsUS.pdf

Would have loved to have gone darker, but with my bad luck, the law would have been all over me. Still looks a lot better, in addition of the benefits of solar protection.

Good luck, and I hope that yours comes out unscathed!

Well I got my windows done last Friday. The dots in the rear window are giving them fits. All other windows look GREAT. The rear window....no so great. I just returned from them trying again to get the film to adhere to the windows around the dots......I'm still not real happy. They gave me three options...

1. Cut the tint back so it doesn't go over any of the dots.....I think that would look like crap...

2. Cut the tint back and put a piece of black vinyl tape over the dots....I think this would look better, but not great.

3. Leave it like it is.

Hmmm, This shop gets high reviews....I checked before going. :banghead:

the trick to get the tint to stick to the "dots" is to get a heat gun and a stiff paint brush and heat the tint around the dots and tap the stiff paint brush around the dot's, the tint will slightly stretch covering the dots and when it cools the dot's will barely be visible.

It took me about 3 times of doing it but it finally worked.

Redneckford, I too would like more information on this method! I may just have to go get a good stiff paint brush. How much heat? :sos:

--

Michael

--

Michael

I went 20% all around. Slightly illigal, but it looks good.

Oh man, that "slightly" illegal film, simply looks awesome. :rockon: How fussy are the cops around Orlando? You're gonna find out. :redcard: My brother paid the fine a couple of times in Ft. Lauderdale, but kept it on anyways.

I like that "take a walk on the wild side" approach to life, though! Still, you're braver than me. It would always be in the back of my mind, and I'd be busted within a month.

Good luck.

I've got an appointment tomorrow to tint my 2010 SE, does anyone have any pics of the dot matrix after being tinted? I was told the only way to tint it completely was to use cheap and thin film, that would go over the raised dots.

On my 2010 FFH, I had them place black vinyl over the dot matrix pattern and I'm happy with the outcome. Originally I was worried that it would hinder the visibility, but with the slope of the window it isn't a problem. Actually I don't even see the vinyl in the rearview mirror.

==

Michael

In NJ it is illegal to tint (at all beyond factory glass) the front side windows or windshield but as far as back side and rear window, you can go as dark as you like.

For those that are going to tackle a tint job on your own here's something else to be aware of before you start.

The side windows are no problem because they are flat.

On a previous Ford Focus I tried to tint the back window, but I ended up having a pro do it. The problem was the curve in the window - it made it virtually impossible to squeegee out the air and flatten out the tint.

I watched "The Tint Guy" who came to the dealership to do it (he was impressed with my job on the side windows by the way) and this guy was good.

He used the heat gun/brush trick to get the tint to stick around the dots. Then to deal with the curved window he cut the tint a little wider than the window.....and dusted it with Baby Powder. Then, like an artist, he used the heat gun to shrink the tint to the window. The Baby Powder helped the tint move on the window and when he was done it looked like a million dollars....except he only charged me $100CDN to do it!

We now have a 2010 Black FusionSEL and I'm trying to find this guy again - because I will not attempt the back window on my own. I still the Focus that we used to have and the tint looks great to this day (5 years later!)

Cheers

:shift:

For the back window, if you want to do it yourself, it is rather easy. You start by cutting the film to rough shape, then on the OUTSIDE of the glass, spray soap film and lay the tint against the glass with the removable liner on the outside, away from the glass, the same way that it will be going inside the car. Then take a squeegee and start laying the film down until you can go any further with it without risking wrinkles, trim the film for an exact fit, then take a heat gun and start in the middle, heat the film while squeegeeing until the film is formed to the glass, let it cool, trim it again, then remove the film, go inside and lay it like you would any other window, it should slide right into place. On the dots, you need to heat the film up enough to soften it, but not distort it, then press it against the glass with a stiff brush until it cools, and it should stay. Be patient with it and you should have a good job when done. You can use the same technique for getting the proper film size for the other windows by cutting the film on the outside of the window, then trimming it in place before installing it inside.

Here in IL, the law is, 35% for all windows, or if the rears are darker than 35%, the fronts can be no more than 50%+- 5%. The problem is you can't buy 50% tint in any of the stores, only online. I haven't decided yet if I will go with 20% or 5% for the rears. I also haven't decided on a color. Since the Sport windows are all clear, I can get a bronze, gray, or a blue tint instead of smoke. The Flex will be gray since the rears are already tinted from the factory.