Marcy Maretti

Jump Starting Another Vehcile

I would not try to start a truck engine with a FFH 12 volt battery, even though my battery is rated to 390 amps cold cranking, and it says I can do it in my Owners Manual, page 252. Check your 2016 FFH Owner's Manual in your glovebox. Keep in mind that you can arc weld with 60 amps, you need to know what you are doing. If you accidently touch the plus and minus clamps together, with the other end across either battery, you will be into arc welding territory immediately, where people wear dark lense face masks, thick welding gloves and clothing protection. If you had a gold ring on your finger in the same electrical path, you would burn your finger off in seconds.

If possible, use a good 110 volt battery charger on the Sierra, and wait the 20 minutes or so before you try to start it. Much safer, and cheaper in case something goes wrong, even including the cost of buying a good 110 volt battery charger.

Edited by VonoreTn

It might even be a better idea to connect the cables directly to the battery terminals in the trunk. Connect the cables securely first to the FFH battery and then the positive cable to the positive of the jumped car and lastly the negative to a significant ground. Give it a few minutes and then try to start. Disconnect in the reverse order.

I think the DC to DC converter in the pre-2013 hybrids has a capacity of 120 amps at the 12 vdc output. I think I read that somewhere in a document about using a hybrid as a law enforcement vehicle where they have a lot more load on the 12 vdc system. That 120 amps compares favorably with an alternator output. The small 12 vdc battery in a hybrid has some cranking ability when used to jump another vehicle but not a lot. It doesn't crank the ICE in a Toyota/Ford eCVT hybrid. That's done by the HVB. That's actually one of the problems with the hybrid 12 vdc batterry; it doesn't get tested at every start. Frequently you start to notice slow cranking when the battery of a conventional car starts to have problems.

Starting draws heavy currents from conventional car batteries which also then have brief high charging currents. These stir up the electrolyte which I think is good. The hybrids don't do this and I think this is the cause for their somewhat less reliability and life. You would think that not taxing a battery would lead to longer life but that's possibly not the case.

There have been many cases over the years where the green ball was not displayed in the single cell it measured even when the battery seemed OK and even tested OK. That sounds like stratification in the electrolyte. I've measured a fully charged specific gravity in my FFH and the ball was still showing red but you can only draw electrolyte out of the top of it. I've tried squeezing the bulb of the hygrometer forcefully several times to get the green ball to appear with mixed results. You can see the red ball move sometimes but the green will not always appear. Sometimes it will appear weeks later.

Edited by lolder

Well that is a guess. Keeping the battery temperature from extremes is a well known benefit.

The 2004-12 DC to DC converters were an expensive water cooled device that I see for a price of $475. The 2013+ are air cooled and may be much cheaper. They are probably protected from overload but all the above comments are valid. If you only jump start similar cars and are meticulous about the hookups you may get away with it.

That being said, I was an electrical engineer and I hooked a jump up backward once. It damaged an air suspension on a 95 Grand Marquis.

Edited by lolder