md13ffhguy

Highway driving, great MPG

Thats what I have been saying for a long time. Highway driving you want as little EV as possible, let the ICE do all the work moving the car and not spending energy charging up the HVB. The only time the opposite is true is when in rolling hill territory where you can maximize time in EV going downhill. This is why it would be nice to be able to turn off EV at highway speeds.

Here's what worked for me:

Make sure the Empower display is selected and also ensure the charge/discharge arrows are activated above/below the battery icon. This seems to be most effective in the 60-70 MPH range. As you drive, look for a time when your battery is at a higher state of charge and it looks like EV might be ready to kick in. As traffic permits, push the accelerator pedal slightly to override the switch to EV, but not enough to drastically increase your speed. You want to make sure the pressure you apply is enough to keep the battery charging (arrow pointing up above the battery), but not so much that it switches to hybrid mode and begins to discharge (downward pointing arrow below the battery). As your battery charge increases, you'll notice the instantaneous MPGs will also increase. If you find you're beginning to take on too much speed, try lifting your foot slightly. If EV seems inevitable, I lift my foot completely and let the car charge a few seconds as it slows.

For the record, do not try this when traffic is too heavy, stop-and-go, or otherwise not conducive. Close followers will not appreciate this type of driving, so be courteous and don't antagonize them. ;) It took some practice and patience to get this down. If you feel too distracted, don't do it.

^THIS^^^^^^^^^

It takes patience and practice, but once you "get" it you will get it.