Eric.C.Boston

Figuring out my first hybrid

Welcome ! Read all the manuals cover to cover twice. While parked, push all the buttons. Then drive it. Don't get fixated on the video game on the instrument panel. There is a direct relationship between warmer weather and better mileage. Elevation differences have big effects on mileage. I believe there is very little "break in" effect from the car, it is mostly the driver. For now, drive the car as you would any other. For the time being, it will be smarter than you are in getting the best mileage. You can have more fun with this car than you could have in the old days in a car in a drive-in-movie ( "Passion Pits" they were called ).

The 10 ft difference would not be significant except for very short distances like a mile or less. The big change is temperature from a cold morning commute to a much warmer afternoon return. The ICE may even retain some residual temperature 8 or 9 hours after the morning trip. It's temperature.

If you drove at 30 mph and covered a mile in 2 minutes, a 4000 lb. car descending 10 ' would generate 40,000 ft. lbs. of potential energy. that's 333 ft. lbs/ sec or 0.6 hp. It takes about 10 hp. to go 30 mph so you would expect the mileage to be affected 6 % + and -. At 50 mpg that's 3 mpg. You would expect to get 53 going downhill and 47 going uphill on a 10 ' per mile slope.

Edited by lolder

When the car needs significant power such as accelerating from a stop or going uphill, do not encourage EV. That is when the ICE is running most efficiently, only encourage EV when the HVB SOC is higher than average.

The charging while coasting is a built in function to mimic automatic transmissions and not indicative of how much energy can be pulled from the main traction motor. The maximum energy is drawn from it while braking. The other motor/generator is over 60 HP and usually takes at least the same amount of power from the ICE when it is running to charge the HVB as is required to move the car ,

The most efficient use of the throttle is to keep steady pressure and NOT modulate it with the traffic. I know that is hard sometimes but the computer is always trying to find the most efficient operating point for the ICE and when you keep changing the demand it's more difficult. Some people find it very hard to change that habit and Type A traffic doesn't help. My wife has not been able to break her habit in almost six years.

The HVB in the 2013+ models can accept 66 hp of electricity for 10 seconds while charging and produce 88 hp while discharging for 10 seconds. That's three times the power figures of the 2010-12 models like mine. The ENERGY capacity of them is about the same at 1.4 kw-hrs. Power is Kws and energy is Kw-hrs.

The power and energy capacity of a HEV ( not a PHEV ) HVB is not very important. It is important that it never fail and that's how it's managed. Early Prii in government life tests lost 70% of their HVB capabilities but their mileage was unaffected. Only one minute full throttle acceleration tests which weren't done would have shown deterioration. Subsequent HVBs have been much better, the 2010 FFH only lost 8%.

The latest generation FFH gets 4 mpg more than mine because it's lighter, less powerful and has a lower drag co-efficient, not because it's HVB is more powerful.

Edited by lolder