ptjones

High Transmission Temperature

No they aren't and I didn't ask, felt pretty good that I could put over 4Kmi. on new Explorer.

BTW RICH FORD was working on second FFH Trans for a total of 3 Hybrid Trans now. I wondering if we are seeing a trend? ;)

I'm back in GA now and didn't have any problems coming home, but I was able to get my TFT upto 182*F with Grill Covers on and A/C on. I do have three 3" holes in lower grill and WT was 180-190*F so not even getting to operating range of 202-212*F. I took lower cover off and TFT dropped to 160*F range, but WT dropped to 170-180*F range. ;)

Paul

ONE transmission failure for these types of transmissions is a trend. There have been many more than that including the C-Max. I would immediately remove any grill cover I had no matter what readings you get with scan gauges. So far, there is no way of knowing what is causing the failures. Everything in these cars is connected to everything else. JMO !!

I have heard of no transmission failures in the 70,000 2010-12 Ford Lincoln hybrid sedans.

Perhaps you're on to something that your grille covers keep the transmission cooler.

Maybe I am confused with the acronym usage (TFT = transmission fluid temperature?) but isn't that the opposite of what PT stated in post #78:

I was able to get my TFT upto 182*F with Grill Covers on and A/C on. I do have three 3" holes in lower grill and WT was 180-190*F so not even getting to operating range of 202-212*F. I took lower cover off and TFT dropped to 160*F range, but WT dropped to 170-180*F range.

After reading about trans problems, and with the funky braking I experienced, in a way kinda glad I dont have it anymore. Hoping this isnt a trend though, would suck for owners and Ford if it is. Especially those who are out of warranty.

If the trans temps are a concern, have you thought about adding an extra trans cooler in front of the shutters?

Do you think its a good idea to have the grille blocked while the a/c is on? I would think that would cause high a/c pressures and reduce the compressor life...

Just wondering if the data is correct. After the car sits overnight, is the trans temp, coolant temp, ambient temp all reading the same?

Did you check the trans temps with the a/c on? This should open the shutters and turn the rad fan on. It can tell you if air flow through the cooler is a problem.

Edited by billford