Sign in to follow this  
Barsoom

Tire Pressure Low Warning Came On Yesterday

Are you sure your FFH has them? ;)

I believe TMPS became mandatory in for all vehicles 10klbs or less effective with the 2007 model year. As usual, don't quote me on that! :)

Edit: Wait. What? Oh I see... the smirk face. haha. Never mind then. :)

Edited by SteveB_TX

It does look at pressure differential. I run at 40 PSI, and I had a slow leaker, when it got down to 34 PSI, which is the recommended PSI, the TPMS would come on. Thats a 6 PSI imbalance. It took 3 key cycles for it to clear when the tires were at the same pressure.

I took my car in today. They said the pressure was a little higher than spec, and slightly imbalanced across the tires. They said the sensor was okay. It's odd that high pressure triggers a low pressure warning, but nothing surprises me anymore.

My offer to look into this still stands. :)

Meagan

The government requirement for TPMSs is that they alert when any tire is 25% below the drivers door sill sticker value. I'd be surprised if they alarmed for differences or a higher value. The intent is to protect against under inflation

What does the pressure read in all the tires with a tire pressure gauge? Sounds like a sensor battery may be dying.

The warning came on again yesterday as I was driving into my garage at the end of the day.

I must either have a slow leak in the valve stem or rim, because there are no nails in the tire. Or it's a bad sensor or a defective wheel that's slowly letting air out?

Back to Ford. This was a good run. No issues since January!

I'll be happy to look into this, Barsoom. I'll need your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan

I hope they aren't charging you... We recently got a screw in the tire of the Focus Electric and took it to Discount Tire who fixed it for free.

Some (maybe many) tire dealers will fix tire damage (resulting from road hazards) at no charge when the tire was originally purchased from them and that is a great customer service. But, assuming Barsoom's tires are OEM (not purchased at the Ford service deparment) why should it be expected that the dealership fix them at no charge? That does not seam reasonable to me but only my opinion and others may differ.

Edited by Texasota