Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Efficiency on longer highway trips...

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   swingdj

swingdj

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 29 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Do you think it makes a difference as you stay in ICE to keep the battery charging as much as possible (arrow up) or does that not matter?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

I posted a video yesterday of a short section where with a nearly full charge(car wont go any higher under speed) the instant hovers around 50 MPG. Its a 38 second video to show its not a brief spurt with me taking my foot off the gas to take a picture.  Had the windows down and enjoying the weather. 

I dont remember where, or if it even works. 

https://www.facebook...739584589417011

If not I will upload to YouTube and repost. 

Edited by acdii, 27 June 2014 - 03:35 PM.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#23 OFFLINE   tgomer

tgomer

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

I just drove from Dallas to Houston and back and got 40.7 MPG. Had the A/C on and set the cruise on 77. Speed limit is 75 here in Texas. Barely any EV miles at all. It appears the ICE and CVT are more efficient above 65 MPH. Maybe the CVT stays in the tallest gear ratio at that speed.

#24 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

I posted a video yesterday of a short section where with a nearly full charge(car wont go any higher under speed) the instant hovers around 50 MPG. Its a 38 second video to show its not a brief spurt with me taking my foot off the gas to take a picture.  Had the windows down and enjoying the weather. 

I dont remember where, or if it even works. 

https://www.facebook...739584589417011

If not I will upload to YouTube and repost. 

I get an error message.

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#25 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

I also agree that keeping the car out of EV mode is best on the highway. Larryh has done some computing of the MPGe that would be needed in EV mode to be better than just running the ICE the whole time and the threshold is rather high which means that you're unlikely to be better off on the freeway with EV cycling. You're better off rolling with the hills and keeping the power demand just above the threshold when going downhill and speeding up along the way and then gently slowing down as you go uphill.

I've been testing this out recently. It's hard to get conclusive, statistically sound results, but I believe it is increasing MPG.

Yesterday we drove out to a friend's house in Buffalo, 44 miles each way of rolling hills through the country at 55-60 MPH. We got 47 MPG going out with A/C on driving in the rain and 50 MPG coming home with windows cracked & the sunroof open. The 44 mile trip had less than 10 EV miles versus maybe 25 EV miles if I had let the cruise control drive and do normal cycling.

• acdii, GrySql and rjent like this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#26 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

To be honest when I'm driving cross country I let her do the work.

Last week I made a 400 mile round trip (2 days) thru the cheese state. It's was mostly 55 - 65 MPH highway and countyroads with a few small towns far and between.

I did set ECC to speed limit plus 4-5 MPH and enjoyed the ride. I didn't take a pic of the trip but Trip 1 showed 45.2 MPG after 8 hrs of driving.
  • rjent likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#27 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

I get an error message.

Permissions

• corncobs likes this

Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

This is the same thing we get when I force the car to keep the ICE running. You can go for many miles like that. The ScanGauge shows about 15 HP at that point. The Prius ICE will go all the way down to about 8-10 HP in similar situations with the instant MPG showing 100+.

The only downside to such driving is that if you come up on a red light with the SOC that high you can't store it all in the HVB. I had a couple times where I could see a light coming up in the distance so I let the car kick into EV mode to burn off some charge. Good thing I did because both lights then turned red. With the Disp SOC at 80% like that it doesn't take much to max out the HVB. I was able to drop it to about 70-75 though before starting to brake and one time I stopped with the Disp SOC at 99% according to Torque Pro and the other time the Disp SOC topped out at 97%. There was also one light where I didn't burn off charge first and the Disp SOC reached 98% before the light turned green again so I was able to stop braking.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#29 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

I max out the charge since accelerating back up to 60 uses up some of that extra charge, so it doesn't use any ICE energy to put back into the battery.  I am getting better than 47 this way in the mornings. sadly can't do it coming home due to traffic being denser with more idiots on the road.   Also the lights are against us going home where in the morning we can usually breeze through 90% of them.

Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   kuzzi

kuzzi

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 539 posts
  • Current Vehicle:FoFuHyTi

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

Here is something I discovered recently. I was getting 50 MPG doing 70 MPH today.  What I did was get the HVB up as high as it will go and feather the throttle to stay on ICE, and maintain speed. When going up grade I let it slip down in speed and recovered the speed on the other side.

Here is a shot I took of it last time I noticed it.

10373643_732133140162156_434881379701878

Here is the trip result from today.

10177367_732133903495413_306029798900613

This is why I would like to go back to the old software programming. I could get 45+ mpg on the ICE alone at 70mph if I set cruise control on. Now it cycles between ICE and EV so often that I'd be lucky to get above 40 at my 70 to 75 mph interstate speeds.

#31 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

This is why I would like to go back to the old software programming. I could get 45+ mpg on the ICE alone at 70mph if I set cruise control on. Now it cycles between ICE and EV so often that I'd be lucky to get above 40 at my 70 to 75 mph interstate speeds.

Wouldn't an EV On/EV Off button be nice?

How do we hot-wire one in?

Edited by GrySql, 30 June 2014 - 03:50 PM.

• acdii, tr7driver, rjent and 2 others like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#32 OFFLINE   tr7driver

tr7driver

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 497 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Ti Hybrid, C-Max Energi, Mustang GT convertible, Triumph TR7 convertible, Toyota Highlander

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Wouldn't an EV On/EV Off button be nice?

How do we hot-wire one in?

This would really be helpful.  We make several cross country trips a year, and after a while you just turn the cruise on and let the computer do the work while enjoying watching America pass by. 

• rjent and corncobs like this

#33 OFFLINE   Ryan Goodlett

Ryan Goodlett

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 63 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 FFH Ti

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

Great thread.  I have been doing this for the past few days and have been getting great mileage.  Got 48.7 this morning on a 11 mile trip to work in Houston traffic.

• GrySql likes this

2014 FFH Ti Tuxedo Black - Ace Alloy Convex 20 x 8.5 40mm offset with 245/35/20 Goodyear All Season - Visual Garage Shark Fin - Steeda Strut Tower Brace - Steeda Hood Strut Kit - Steeda Rear Sway Bar

Ryan

#34 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 698 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

I have been doing this for the past few days

You mean turn the cruise on and let the computer do the work?

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#35 OFFLINE   Ryan Goodlett

Ryan Goodlett

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 63 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 FFH Ti

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

You mean turn the cruise on and let the computer do the work?

No.  I am letting the SOC get up to the top and using the ICE only.

• acdii likes this

2014 FFH Ti Tuxedo Black - Ace Alloy Convex 20 x 8.5 40mm offset with 245/35/20 Goodyear All Season - Visual Garage Shark Fin - Steeda Strut Tower Brace - Steeda Hood Strut Kit - Steeda Rear Sway Bar

Ryan

#36 OFFLINE   swingdj

swingdj

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 29 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Here's a shot of a trip to Toledo -- tried to stay out of EV as much as possible and averaged somewhere around low 60 mph on the highway but as high as 70.  Kept the charge as high as possible.

Attached File  photo.JPG   113.3KB   4 downloads

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#37 OFFLINE   jsolan

jsolan

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 194 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

I'm not sure how you guys stay out of EV at a high SOC.  Mine likes to use EV assist once I get over about 80% charged until it drops down to about 65-70%, then recharges itself.

Either way, I'm still going to rely on cruise control and be reasonably happy with the 38-40 I get at 70 mph.

I do wish Ford trusted their drivers a bit more to make a decision about EV usage though.  I'd love there to be 3 modes:

Normal - current

Max EV - EV+ all the time

No/limited EV - what we're trying to accomplish in this thread.  I do think that having EV available at high speeds is a fuel saver for going down long downgrades, but flatland and uphill it appears to be less efficient than the atkinson.

• GrySql and Ryan Goodlett like this

#38 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

I'm not sure how you guys stay out of EV at a high SOC.  Mine likes to use EV assist once I get over about 80% charged until it drops down to about 65-70%, then recharges itself.

That's what we mean. We keep it from going into EV mode, keeping the ICE on the entire time. For me I use CC but keep my right foot near the gas, then when we hit a downhill stretch that would normally make the car turn off the ICE I gently step on the gas just barely enough to keep the ICE on. This causes the instant MPG to go to 60+ and the HVB is charging. This appears to be more efficient that letting the ICE turn off & then drain the HVB in EV mode on these stretches.

Then, when going uphill the car uses EV as assist which allows the ICE to continue to run on little fuel keeping the instant MPG near 40 MPG even when going up a hill.

Edited by hybridbear, 15 July 2014 - 07:32 AM.

• acdii likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#39 OFFLINE   jsolan

jsolan

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 194 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

That's what we mean. We keep it from going into EV mode, keeping the ICE on the entire time. For me I use CC but keep my right foot near the gas, then when we hit a downhill stretch that would normally make the car turn off the ICE I gently step on the gas just barely enough to keep the ICE on. This causes the instant MPG to go to 60+ and the HVB is charging. This appears to be more efficient that letting the ICE turn off & then drain the HVB in EV mode on these stretches.

Then, when going uphill the car uses EV as assist which allows the ICE to continue to run on little fuel keeping the instant MPG near 40 MPG even when going up a hill.

I understand what you guys are saying, my car just doesn't seem to behave that way.

I don't mean mine goes in EV mode to drain the battery, it uses EV assist (both ICE and EV at the same time), even on flat terrain, until it depletes the battery about 10%.Then recharges.  It's like it constantly wants to cycle.  During the EV Assist on flat terrain, I see instant MPG at around 50 or so, but it's also depleting the battery and needs to recharge so it's a wash.  And there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it ignore EV assist.  If I give it more gas, it assists more, if I back off on the gas it goes into full EV.  Granted I only tried it 4-5 times on my 900 mile trip to Boston over the 4th, so maybe I wasn't doing it quite right.

Edited by jsolan, 15 July 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

It's a balancing act with the right foot. Just enough pressure to keep it on ICE, and not enough to accelerate, but enough to maintain speed on ICE and charge, at times I have been getting it in equilibrium status where there are no arrows on the battery. Thats the hardest part.  My wife can't do it either, she had the car since Friday and only got 42 MPG in it, while this morning I got 48.5. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·