jsolan

Ethanol Free

Has anyone compared a few tanks of regular gas against ethanol free? If so what are your results?

This last tank I decided to put in ethanol free, which I don't think I will do again unless prices change.

I do like the way the car runs with it. Maybe I'm just trying to justify the price, but I feel like the "growl" is less and the car is more responsive.

However I'm only getting about 2-3 mpg better, which is not worth the extra 50 cents/gallon that it costs around here. I'd need to get 5 mpg more just to break even.

2-3 mpg gain is about right with non-ethanol fuel. Since ethanol is less efficient than straight regular gas, most vehicles will see a drop of 3 to 4 percent in MPG when using 10% ethanol fuel.

I would love to be able to get non E fuel. Even the premium around here has 10% in it. Since I fill using 89 now in both cars for just a little bit more than regular at other stations, both cars have been running better. If I really want some bang for the buck in the Flex they have 93 Octane.

Did you have to buy a higher octane to get non-ethanol fuel? There are a few places that sell in around the Twin Cities but it's only ever 92+ octane that I've seen in MN.

It was 89 octane when I got it or at least it was in the 89 octane slot.

I'm back to 10% E with 87 this week.

I got 48.4 mpg over that tank which included 200 miles of mountainous driving. Definitely my best tank, especially on those type of roads, but still not quite enough to cost justify it.

When they switched us over to 10% ethanol here in Maine, our 2006 Hyundai Elantra lost about 10% of its MPG. Prior to E10 I could get 40mpg from it under ideal conditions afterwords, I could never get better than 36mpg. The plugs also got fouled up more rapidly. I wish I could get a few tanks of non-E gas for my FFH to see what kind of an impact it would have.

A lot of things dont like ethanol. I have a John Deere gas trimmer that the fuel lines rotted away from this crap. The replacement lines aren't the same size so the tank leaks now. My Toro rider mower no longer runs, carb needs a complete overhaul, and I have another push mower that also needs a new carb.

Nothing listed near me. :-(

--Edit--

What!? No sad or crying emoticon.

Edited by MaineFusion

:cry: That's so sad!

Okay how did you get that? I see it is pulled from this site, but it isn't in my list of available smileys

Just found this map. Us the zooor your aea.

pure-gas.org

Nothing for me, But others can be saved....

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

wow I have to say I'm very surprised on the number of stations that sell E0 fuel. but you can limit your exposure using this simple test.

there are some graduated bottles available that tell you the exact amount in your fill. look for ethanol test kit online.

Okay how did you get that? I see it is pulled from this site, but it isn't in my list of available smileys

All I do is click the smiley face on the top toolbar, then select "show all" that is underneath the scrolling emoticons. :ohsnap:

There are a few near us, but only premium gas octane levels, 91+.

Since the FFH wants 87, using premium gas just do avoid ethanol doesn't seem like a good idea.

I seriously doubt you would want to drink this kind of alcohol, it can make you go blind, or just outright kill you. As far as food for fuel, the corn they use is feed corn, the stuff used to feed animals, and the by product of making ethanol is feed for animals. The sugars are what get extracted and converted, the proteins remain. Since I live in farm country, I can see how much corn is produced just in this one area, and during harvest time there is literally a mountain of corn every year.

However, having incentive to plant more corn( I posted some recent articles elsewhere in regards), does entice farmers to grow corn over other crops, and to clear more land for farming, increasing the chances of fertilizer pollution and increased erosion. In fact this year I have seen far more corn fields where Soy would have been planted, which goes against the practice of crop rotation. Usually corn and soy are rotated every year.

IMHO, you are partially correct in that the ethanol is not fully refined to the 95% mark possible. However grain alcohol is grain alcohol, and "corn squeezins" is one possibility. I believe you are thinking of methanol or wood alcohol as the one which can't be cleaned up for human consumption. Also blindness and death came from contamination of white lightning from the crude distillation components used in the woods.

True, but fuel ethanol is still denatured so as to be not drinkable. I don't know what is done to it, but drinking it is probably no better for you than drinking gasoline.

I would much rather buy a bottle of good Capn Morgan Black rum, than take a chance on cheap booze :) Been looking for that new Captain Morgan® Sherry Oak Finish Spiced Rum they have, but haven't found it yet.