GrayStrider

I Purchased a Ford Fusion Hybrid instead of a Ford Fusion Energi Because...

For me it was 2 reasons, Cost, and my regular dealer couldn't get it for me. The dealer that sells Energi models didnt seam much like they wanted to sell them, complaining about how much their charging station costs and how they can only order so many of them and not enough to make up the cost, blah blah blah. It would have been ideal as a drive to town to go shopping round trip is under 20 miles. Those are the trips that consume the most fuel for us. Now that I have a good working FFH, Very pleased with what I got.

For me, The trunk space thing is nuts...

I needed space.

Also, Our $.23 a kilowatt rate didn't really wow me on the return against gasoline per mile.

Cost 7.82 cents per mile elec.

Cost 8.51 cents per mile gas. @ $3.70 a gallon

According to the EPA sticker.

As others have said, biggest reason was price.

Also 50% of my driving is a commuting 15 miles 1 way. An Energi would be GREAT for that.

The other 50% of my driving is split between long highway trips and mountainous back roads. It would be terrible for that. So between the ultra high premium cost and only being able to make use of the EV advantage 50% of the time, a Hybrid over Energi was a no-brainer in my case.

I was much more torn between the Hybrid and 2.0 Ecoboost. The ONLY reason I went Hybrid over the non-hybrid was because the price difference was less than 2k and even at 37 mpg (my worse case expectancy) I would make up the cost based on how long I keep vehicles.

I am thinking of getting a Fusion Titanium but wanted to hear from people who actually have the car. Would love to chat with anyone who is online or you can post your experiences. I am leaning towards the Energi because in CA we can get access to the HOV lanes for free :).

Thanks,

I had identical Sterling Grey Fusions sitting next to each other yesterday. (Titanium Hybrid and a Titanium Energi) The deal breaker for me was when I took out my golf clubs and couldn't fit them in the Energi's trunk. If it wasn't for the extremely tiny cargo space I would have shelled out the extra cash. I have a 30 mile commute with availability to charge at work.

That said, I love my Titanium Hybrid.

I have a 60-mile commute each way and don't have the ability to charge at work -- I asked about getting a charging station a couple years ago, was told that it would be considered... which never translated from 'considered' to 'implemented', so I didn't see the benefit of shelling out the extra bucks with only the means to charge on one end.

Wife only has 3-mile commute each way, with additional running around to drop off/pick up at school and other running around town, so it made sense for her and so that's what she now has.

I'm still new here, but wanted to share a few things. I was in the market for a second "family" car. I am a contractor out here in California and have been driving my F-350 diesel utility truck since 2005, I'm used to spending $800 - $1,000 on gas monthly when I'm busy. Newly single dad, driving the kids around in my 11mpg standard cab truck got old quick. The test driving began. I built the Fusion Ti Hybrid I wanted online and began shopping around. After my test drive I was happy with the car and looking forward to purchasing one. This guy wouldn't let me leave the dealership after I repeatedly told him I was not interested in the black Hybrid we test drove. They had about a dozen Fusions on the lot that day, and the one hybrid. He said he could get the car I wanted, or built online but it would cost more and take a while. Honestly I didn't care, that was fine, I said ok and wanted to leave. Eventually I gave in like an idiot. I dropped a good amount of money on a car I want, but not exactly. That damn pushy salesman got over on me and now I'm stuck with a black car I'm washing 3 times a week. Keep in mind this is my second car, I come home from work in the truck, look over at the hybrid and it's dirty, wash it, wax it, it always shows dirt. The car sits all day outside in the driveway, so I get a car cover, now I have the antenna issue. I really like the car - overall, I'm happy, but damn this black color. I feel like an idiot for letting the pushy salesman get over on me. I read all the threads about the titanium package and kick myself. On my second tank of gas, if I could take it back I would.

For me when I bought my 2013 FFH, the Energi wasn't available yet. Later on, when looking at the Energi at the NY Auto Show, I decided I'm glad I didn't go with the Energi because of the lack of trunk space.

My wife and I also thought the payback on the Energi wasn't worth the additional cost. Our optioned out FFH SE stickered for $35.5k. The dealer we bought from had about 8 Fusion Energi's, average sticker about $44k. Even the salesman we worked with said the Energi wasn't worth the price.

Really tho, how much difference is there if I can get over 40 on most of my trips with the hybrid.

There could be a big difference if you can stay in electric. My car currently has 3000 miles and I filled up last weekend for only the second time (plus the "free" tank from when I purchase the car). That's an average of about 1000 miles per tank. I used to get about 500 miles per tank on my 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Of course, there is a cost to the electricity I'm using but it is way lower than that the cost of gas per mile. Based on my electric rates, it cost me less than $1 to completely charge the battery and I get about 25 miles to a full charge. The gas is about 3.60 currently in my area. Even using the $1 per charge (which is high), I can get about 90 miles of electric range for the same cost of a gallon of gas.

Based on my driving habits the Energi is working perfectly for me.

Regards,

APM