gadgetguy

New 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Interestingly, so far the HAH is averaging 39.1 MPG in Fuelly (compared to 37.8 for the 2014 FFH) and 40.8 on fueleconomy.gov (compared to 41.1 for the FFH). In other words, either 1.3 MPG higher or 0.3 MPG lower than the FFH.

That's good fuel economy and no doubt it will improve as the weather gets warmer, but not the big advantage over the FFH that early reviews were suggesting.

Okay. Just my impressions. I have two cars:

I have a 2010 FFH (yes, a little older) ... and LOVE IT. In May 2009, which I bought it, it was head and shoulders above everybody else.

I LOVE the interface to media/audio/etc. as well as the maps. The fog lamps are a plus, as well as the trunk feed through (though I've never really used it). The sound system (SONY) is top notch. The bluetooth with my RAZR MAXX HD is great ... read texts to me while I drive. It drives snappy AND smooth. And, I usually get 39 to 44 mpg, with highs pushing 47 mpg sometimes around town. I've NEVER regretted the purchase.

I also have a 2014 HAH. The interface to entertainment isn't great (as good), but useable. The Pandora works just fine with cellphone. Once I found how to turn up the subwoofer, sound is pretty good, but it still doesn't seem to be as balanced or fully smooth across frequencies (Still playing with that). The cumulative trip mileage is NOT instant like the Fusion. I updates every 10 sec.s or so. Realtime is okay. Cellphone texting (incoming) does NOT "speak" in the car like Fusion does (supposedly newer SAMSUNG phones will). Car does float, and is the quietest vehicle I've ever driven ... except with the engine winds up a little a times (to charge or drive car). I declare, it seems the Accord is in EV mode 1/3 of the time or more, even at 55-60 mph. It just charges up the battery, then poof, EV lights comes on, and lasts for a while. It has a totally different approach to hybrid running than any other vehicle. So, here's one big thing. OMG ... the mileage has been incredible. In my first two weeks now, I've been getting generally 53-63 mpg in mixed highway and city. I even got 69 mpg in a recent trip to my office from home, and 64 to the hospital. The "forced" EV button does help hypermile, but only forced in at lower speeds (not highway). I'm just saying, the mileage is quite remarkable.

My wife just simply pushed for the Honda. If ... a big if ... trunk space was not a factor, I really wanted the plugin Fusion. But, as it turns out. I'm really enjoying the HAH. I still love my Fusion. It's just seems better designed in the electronics, and some other options. The HAH, just does woo me quite a bit because of the big mileage. Maybe more observations coming as I get to know it better.

You are fortunate to have two hybrids in the family and be able to easily compare one to the other and the progress that has been made in the intervening years. Keep us posted on your "affair" and let us see how Honda has improved the breed with their version. Of course the best test will be when it comes time to replace the 2010 and decide what you want then.. :shift:

Maybe CR needs to hire some better drivers. Apparently they only know how to drive a regular car, and drive Hybrids like regular cars. While the Fusion can be driven like a regular car and still get decent MPG, slight changes in how you drive the car make all the difference in the world. Not rocket science, just takes practice and some reading of these forums.

I don't care what CR say's anyways, the cars they rave about don't do anything for me, they lack a lot of nice features, and are pretty much plain ordinary run of the mill look like all the rest cars. I saw a HAH the other day, it looked weird from behind. Looked like someone squished it from the lower sides like a marshmallow.

Almost all hybrids ( and many other ) cars have large variations in mileage with temperature and speed. I think the EPA tests are done at 60-70 º F. If the media testers perform their tests in 40 º F colder temperatures, that's worth about -8 mpg right there The EPA highway test averages around 50 mph and cruising at 70 mph would cause a 10 mpg loss. Cars that are more aerodynamic like the Prius ( often teased for it's shape ) suffer less from higher speeds and achieve EPA numbers more often. When temperatures are 90-95 º F., EPA numbers are often exceeded. Above that, AC load takes too much a toll. There's not much yearly cost difference between 40 and 50 mpg so other factors should weigh heavily in choosing a vehicle. If you're going to drive 30K miles a year at 80 mph, TDIs are probably the best if you think VWs will be dependable. Prii are not bad at high speed either if you think they're comfortable enough.

Maybe CR needs to hire some better drivers. Apparently they only know how to drive a regular car, and drive Hybrids like regular cars. While the Fusion can be driven like a regular car and still get decent MPG, slight changes in how you drive the car make all the difference in the world. Not rocket science, just takes practice and some reading of these forums.

Okay, I've put on by flack jacket and I will likely need it after this post. Somebody has to defend CR so it might as well be me since I already have that reputation.

I just went back and looked at the CR article in the February 2014 CR issue where they retested their 2013 FFH with the software updates (the updates designed to improve MPG). CR stated that in their original test of their 2013 FFH: "The Fusion sedan got a stellar 39 MPG overall". CR retested again immediately before and after the software update and they saw less than a 1 MPG improvement. So they probably saw something close to 39.5 MPG on their test after the software update.

I just looked at fuelly.com numbers and it shows this:

2014 FFH: 39.1 MPG (457,009 miles tracked)

2013 FFH: 40.4 MPG (596,628 miles tracked)

According to those fuelly numbers (based on 1,053,637 actual owner miles) CR results were within 2.2% of the 2013 fuelly numbers and CR's results were slightly better than the 2014 fuelly numbers. I'd say CR's results are pretty darn close to real world numbers that owners are reporting on fuelly.com.

This is an old debate but is worth repeating. Most FFH owners drive it like a normal car. The majority of FFH owners are not hybrid enthusiasts like the highly knowledgeable and motivated folks here on this forum. The fuelly.com numbers strongly suggest that is the case. Could CR drive the hybrid cars differently than traditional cars and report significantly better MPGs? You bet they could. But they could also apply those same driving techniques to traditional cars and also get significantly better MPGs. But that would not accurately reflect real world driving and CR would be strongly citicized for reporting inaccurate MPG results that the majority of owners will not achieve.

CR is testing and reporting MPG results that are about as "real world" as you can get and the fuelly numbers confirm that. Only my opinion, but that is how I think CR should do it and I would hate to see them start using a different set of MPG testing parameters for hybrids.

I think what they need to do is have two examples, one driving like a normal car, and one driven like a Hybrid. For the average driver, here is what you can expect to get from the car, however if you hypermile, you can expect to see this. Now if they hypermile and still can't get even close to EPA, now that is something they can trash talk.

On Fuelly there are quite a few cars that are under performers, that no matter how you drive them, they get poor MPG, and those do bring down the total average. I wouldn't be surprised if the BD is still accounted for. Currently my HyTi is getting 45-46 MPG daily, my last fill was 46.7 MPG. It only took 20K miles to break in. LOL

I think what they need to do is have two examples, one driving like a normal car, and one driven like a Hybrid. For the average driver, here is what you can expect to get from the car, however if you hypermile, you can expect to see this. Now if they hypermile and still can't get even close to EPA, now that is something they can trash talk.

Acdii, you have posted numerous times that the 2013+ FFHs is a different animal and it requires different driving techniques than other hybrids (different even than the 2010 - 2012 FFHs). I am not challenging the validity your posts because you have experience driving several different kinds of hybrids.

I suspect HAH owners could probably make the same claim and this illustrates what a slippery slope it would become for any testing group (including CR) to begin reporting MPG results for a regular driver and for a hypermiler driver. No testing agency can develop hybrid testing parameters that would be optimal for each hybrid. You would need a set of experts for the FFH, another set for the HAH, another set for the TCH etc. It would become an impossible mess and each manufacture would have legitimate reasons to cry foul.

CR's results are accurate for the majority of real world drivers and the fuelly numbers back that up. The EPA's MPG testing parameters seem to favor hybrids, in general, so it would seem we already have the second "example" that you are suggesting. I have more confidence that CR's numbers are more real world than the EPA’s numbers and many other trade articles have confirmed that in their MPG testing.

I hate to say it, but I actually agree with what you say. The cars do have different techniques. The First Gen Ford and second Gen Toyotas are identical to driving styles, as well as the current gen Toyota Camry prius and Avalon. Since I haven't driven, nor care to, the Honda, I can't comment on its technique, but if you can drive the Fusion, the others will be a cinch. The big difference between the Fusion and the others is the fact it has EV at highway speeds, and this is what sets it apart from the others, and where the technique is different. Knowing when to EV and not is the key.

Then again a driver proficient in the Fusion, can make the others look REALLY good in EPA.