fusionTX

Not So Happy MPG Talk

We went out Sunday fridge shopping, killed the mileage on the Flex, dropped it down to 19. :( Its back up over 20 now, even with me spanking someone in a Fusion who is oblivious to the Ecoboost badge. I even gave him a head start.

Today when I left work it was low 90's and the car had been sitting. The bottom line is that when the A/C has to run full blast to cool the interior it's an mpg killer because it sucks the battery dry so fast until the cabin cools off and the draw drops.... That coupled with having to be in a hurry yielded just over 36 mpg :cry: on my commute home. Not even worthy of a pic...

Open all the windows for the first few minutes with the AC off. It'll cool just as quickly with much less a mpg hit.

Question: on traditional auto ACs, there are only two compressor speeds: on or off, and thus, only two different states of stress on the ICE. Our compressors run on an electric motor rather than drawing power from a serpentine belt. Do they function the same way -- i.e., either off or at full speed? Unless they have intermediate speeds, how does setting the temp 1° lower than outside lower the humidity without using as much power? Just asking because I'm not sure how these electric ACs work, and I've been wondering.

That is a good question, but it does work. The initial startup to cool down is roughly 2 Kw, and drops down to just under 1 Kw when the blower speed drops. My guess(based on the physics of AC) is that when the blower speed drops, demand on the compressor also drops since the temperature drop across the Evaporator is lower from the balance of air through it. If you have the temp set to 70 and it has to cool down from 90, the blower will force hot air over the coils at high speed, absorbing more heat that the compressor needs to pump to the condenser, which also has to have the fans on at full blast to pull cool air over them.

So when you do the gradual cool down, the temp drop across the coils is much slower, so it doesn't take as much energy for the compressor to pump the coolant around, and since the compressor is electric, it's draw is consistent with its load, lower load is lower current draw.

Think of a power saw, when you first start it you have the spike of maximum current as it winds up, but once wound up and no load, its current draw is very low, after all it just needs to spin the mass of the armature and blade, but as soon as you start cutting the motor draws more current to maintain speed, and as you apply more load to it, it draws more and when you force it to stall it will draw its maximum current. The AC works the same way, the more it is forced to cool the higher the amp draw will be. Dropping the temp gradually reduces the amount of current needed to cool.

This thread looks very interesting to me because I've had so much trouble getting numbers like many posters on these forums report. However, after 1,500 miles, it occurs to me that almost all my trips are composed mainly of freeway miles. Maybe I can't get over 44 and usually get around 38-42 because of driving our suburban freeways which almost always seem to be ascending 500 feet from a river valley with upgrades that go on fairly steeply for 2-3 miles before diving back down into yet another river valley. The outer belt here resembles nothing more closely than a roller coaster.

I think I'll take the car out to Kansas and see what it can do there. It makes me wonder if we're really comparing apples to oranges, too. If one poster has freeway commutes like mine, and another has commutes on monotonously level streets where he can pulse and glide at 40-50 mph, I imagine that it probably would, in fact, account for differences of 15-20%. The many comparison threads to which we post are actually UNscientific in that there is zero control of variables other than the make and model of our FFHs.

Hammer met nail!

Without a direct comparison to an identical driving the same route, its very hard to diagnose if there is an actual problem. What you describe as your daily commute is getting you pretty much what you can expect to get in this car. It does VERy good when in the 40-50 MPH range where you can get regen mixed in and plenty of glide. On the Interstate, you cant get this so you are only going to get what the engine itself is rated at. My rough estimate is this engine is about a 38 MPG engine.

For my daily drive, base on the prior 3 Hybrids, I expect 38-43 MPG on average, and I am nailing it. In the warmer temps 41-45 is my expected range, and I am nailing that as well. If you are getting 44 Highway(Interstate) then you are doing OK.