mrobinso8

Dead 12 Volt Battery - 2013 Fusion Hybrid

For my own edification, was just curious about AGM batteries, I see that a bunch of companies make these

and some are size 96R and 99R (which is the Hybrid's right size?).

Of course you would not want to swap out the existing battery lightly as it has different characteristics and

load capability, etc. So proceed at your own risk.

Here is one I found...pricey but if it really solved the problem, it would be great.

There is a 96R and 99R that lists if you lookup of Fusion Hybrid

http://www.powerstridebattery.com/bci-group-96r-odyssey-pc1200mjt-battery

I never understood this. I'm no electrician, but isn't the circuit connected in a way that it doesn't matter if the charge is connected directly to the negative post or to something else that is connected to the negative post? The elections flow through the post just the same regardless of where they entered the circuit? Unless there is a voltage regulator somewhere between the under the hood posts and the battery posts, what difference does it make?

There is a module attached to the negative terminal that the computers use to monitor the batteries condition. As with jump starting a car you never connect to both terminals, but ground the negative to the body or some other part under the hood.

Well the main reason there are studs under the hood is if the battery is dead, you cant really open the trunk without dropping the back seats and crawling in. It is much easier to pop the hood open. The other reason is it is easy to damage the sensor on the battery. Jumper clamps can easily snap it if they are not put on carefully.

I have not gotten my car back from the dealership yet today for the BSM, but I did get an early morning

call from the SM who said it was all fixed. Did not question anything I said.

They did the TSB for reprogramming the 12V charging for cold weather and the battery also tested

bad - so they replaced it with one that is not 3 years in life, but 5 years life. Is this newer one higher capacity?

I don't know the part number yet, but that all sounded good to me. Even though they could not reproduce

the cold weather conditions, they did the reprogram anyway. It had been shutting off in seconds during

Feb/Mar - but lately would stay on for 5+ minutes after engine shutoff. He was not at all surprised that

the battery in that car had degraded so rapidly.

My build date was late-March 2013 I believe.

BTW, the new 12V I got was is shown with the original below it. This battery is a Ford Motorcraft MAX battery, 3 yrs free replacement,

100 months warranty. I believe the quality and design of these (although not perfect) should do much better in the FFH. The

design of the lead plates is supposely higher grade and should not sulfate as easily. An AGM would have been better.

I did not ask the dealer for any specific part, they also did the TSB to reprogram for cold weather charging. The one in

there tested bad where 2 other (different) dealer visits said it was fine. IMHO, it takes the hybrid mechanic, not

the everyday mechanic to yank the battery out of the car and load test it. Having it tested on a Saturday and not

leaving it for the day is an issue as the general mechanics do not understand the hybrid quirks as well as good

hybrid mechanic will.

As others have said, the original batteries were junk for this car anyway, who knows it was a bad design or

not really the right part for the car, but others should be aware. I saw the full bill and it was a good $400

worth of parts and labor for just the battery. Since is exactly the same. So anybody looking to do it yourself

and not get a warranty replacement, this new part is what you want.

My build date was March 2013

BXT-99RT4-A (New One)
BXT-99R-390 (Original)

I will chime in and IMHO trickle chargers are almost always a bad idea. They frequently reduce the life of the battery.

The "Battery Tender" doesn't fit my idea of a trickle charger and it's probably OK. I'm really not a battery expert but I've heard of sulfation and electrolyte stratification and I think they and more detrimental things happen to our hybrid 12 vdc batteries. The failure of the green ball to appear often in fully charged batteries points to electrolyte stagnation. The steady load when off pulls the terminal voltage down much more than would be expected for a given specific gravity / SOC condition. I think lead acid batteries don't like small currents in or out. The NiCad, NiMH, LiIon batteries frequently have chargers that charge in pulses of diminishing length as their charge approaches full. The current during each pulse is substantial.

Edited by lolder

Was this the first time it was on a battery tender for a continuous two weeks?