acdii

Accelerating in the 2013

I bet you can do 53 on your 2010 in the spring

That might be a stretch... I just looked through my 2010 spreadsheet, highest I got for a tank was about 44MPG several times, but then again also had a few 34MPG fills during the coldest times. However someone could probably do better than that since my driving is 90% highway.

So your drive is 90% highway and you are averaging 44 MPGs. That's pretty awesome.

What speeds do you travel? Do you try to engage EV mode on highway (ie travel below 62 MPH)?

Yes I set the cruise at 62 so try let the EV kick in when possible... one might think that this would result in everyone whizzing by and leaving you like a NASCAR driver that's lost the draft at Daytona, and now and then that does happen -- but in most of those times on the daily I-95 drive the traffic down the road jams up and the same ones who whizzed past me on the center and left lanes a couple minutes prior end up being the same ones that end up watching me catch and pass them just even-Steven in the right lane. Most drivers here are probably not willing to slow down that much and want to hurry and get to work or get home... I've driven that darn I-95 and I-495 beltway for almost 300k miles now and actually find it more enjoyable to back off and watch others bob and weave... then pass some of them later on anyway.

The first day I had the car I maintained 70 MPH in the left lane along with others and got 31MPG... but backing it off to set cruise at 62 and let the circus pass by has yielded the average of 44MPG (about 35% better than the first day's 31 MPG, but of course weather and break-in were factors to an unknown degree) when calculated miles/gallons at the pump (lifetime on the display currently says 45.1) and when the weather warms up it should improve a bit more. So yeah it's probably more of a "kids don't try this at home" as most aren't willing to slow down that much, but have had my time driving the rush-hour 500 and trying to trim a minute or two from each trip etc, have been 'awarded' 12 speeding tickets in 10 different states along the years (got Kentucky and Ohio two days apart, that was expensive), have had enough of that and don't mind backing off a single bit. So I guess in other words, I'm more interested in MPG these days and leave the racing to others.