I got a 2018 fusion hybrid just under 4000 miles, my ave is 39.2, I do alot of really shot 1 mile trips but then usually give it a 100 mile round trip every weekend so that seems to help round out the ave. Even though my car is a SE I lie to people and tell them I have Adaptive cruise control, How you might ask? Well I set my cruise to 55 mph and then truckers and everyone pass me so not only do a get great highway mileage usually 45-48 for the trip but I fell alot less stressed about the rat race of getting wherever 5 minutes quicker than everyone else. Try driving 55 your mileage will be amazing.
Driving 55 on a 70 mph interstate...uh, no!
I can handle not getting the posted 41 mpg for highway. What I can't tolerate is getting 35/36 mpg (my 2016 Fusion SE Ecoboost got 32 while driving faster) while doing the following during my daily commute.
1. One person in the car with a backpack and coat (trunk is empty)
2. No A/C and minimal heat (I use the seat warmer)
3. Cruise set at no more than 1 mile over any speed limit (33 miles of open interstate with minimal traffic, 45 mile total commute).
4. Stay in the right hand lane except to pass when required.
5. Draft semis as much as possible
6. Braking score > 95%
7. Tried pulse and glide with minimal results (< 1 mpg improvement).
I will admit that I do try to stay with traffic when the traffic light turns green, but considering it is so short a distance, that is not a true mileage buster.
So, how do you get closer to posted MPGs while driving the car in a reasonable manner?