Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

New owner with a few ???

Hybrid battery

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mmiu

Mmiu

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:ford fusion hybrid se
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:24 PM

I bought a 2017 se hybrid a week ago from a rental car dealership. 28k miles. Love the car but have a few questions.

1. The battery never goes past half full is that normal? I've never seen it go full...it cycles and recharges but never past half full. Worried...

2. The coolant is about an inch under the min line the dealership said they topped everything off but I know they didnt because it was like that when I test drove it. Forgot to check after I bought on the lot but did now and its low. There are two reservoirs...why? I try to put coolant in the little one by the battery and it doesn't go into the larger one on the left. This is worrying me.

Any links for videos would be greatly appreciated and tips and tricks :)
Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,555 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:34 PM

1. That is normal.  If the battery was full there would be no place to store the energy from regen.

2.There are two separate cooling systems, one for the engine and one for the electronics.

• Mmiu likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Mmiu

Mmiu

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Murphy! Quick question...proabaly same but want to make sure. I can put the same coolant in both right? One doesn't need a different or special type?

Thank you

#4 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Murphy! Quick question...proabaly same but want to make sure. I can put the same coolant in both right? One doesn't need a different or special type?

Thank you

They both use Motorcraft Orange Antifreeze / Coolant Prediluted

See page 305 in the Owner's Manual (Technical Specifications)  in my 2013 manual, page number may be different for later years.

#5 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 563 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:12 PM

Yup.  Murphy has it right on all f this.  I grabbed a jug of the coolant at AutoZone for using with my prior '15.  Have not had to add coolant since that one time.

If this is the first hybrid for you, I suggest sitting with the manual and the car running.  Cycle every screen, toggle switches and such.  Learn where the main functions are and how they work - manual and electronic.  Figure out what screens you want as the main display.  Go through everything a second time, setting your preferences.  Might take an hour or so, but well worth it.

Welcome to the club!  Anything else just ask away.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, rain-sensing wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare,

blacked out grille

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#6 OFFLINE   Mmiu

Mmiu

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the tip! I plan on doing that. Excited about the car for sure. Weary since it was used and a rental prior but I'll take care of her

#7 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:48 PM

Ummm, how do you feel about compact spares?  Because you do not have one.  That's right!  For some reason - probably to aid in hitting EPA numbers - you have a can of fix-a-flat under the floor back there.

All is not lost, however.  This thread describes getting a 16" compact spare from the dealer.  Invoice Part # is the Ford part number.  I ordered from Ford and TireRack (for the tread) and the cost was about $500 or a bit more (for my prior '15).  I swapped it into the current car.  You can save by going to a salvage/junk yard and getting the same parts from a 2013+ gas Fusion.  Jockey the trunk floor so you can pull it out ... undo the hold-down bolt and remove the plastic tub and gunk.  Put them aside and save that bolt.  Get the jack, wrench, (hopefully) the plastic assembly thing and the spare into the well and use the hold-down bolt to secure it.  Put the Ford stuff somewhere in the garage if you wish to save it.

If you get a flat and use the spare, a couple things to know:

1.  If you have 17" rims, the spare can be used on any corner and will not mess up things in suspension and/or steering.

2.  If you have 18" rims, the spare should only go on the back end.  For front flats, move the rear rim to the front and mount the spare on the rear.  Not doing that will make steering geometry out of kilter.

There is a thread in here somewhere that discusses using the spare on various corners and on cars with the different rim sizes.  The above is the essence of that discussion.

Edited by Cobra348, 22 September 2018 - 08:26 PM.

Larry - aka Cobra

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, rain-sensing wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare,

blacked out grille

#8 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:36 AM

A warning if you have an Energi.  The spare mentioned above will not work on an Energi.  The Energi has bigger brakes and it will not clear the calipers.

#9 OFFLINE   Mmiu

Mmiu

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:39 AM

So the past 2 times I fired up the car after it sat over night it kind of jolts/hiccups if u will. The battery is very low on start up but theres no way this is normal...any thoughts? I live in Florida so temps dont drop under 70 at night so it cant be because it's cold.

Thoughts? It's at 28k miles. Still have till 36k under warranty, I plan on getting my oil change at 31k at a ford dealership and having them check everything. How much should that cost? Sorry for all the questions. I havent owned a car in over 4 years. Was in nyc and didnt need one. I'm hoping I didnt buy a lemon :/

#10 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

Which battery is low, the 12 volt or the HVB?

The engine is started by the HVB.  A low 12 volt battery can cause errors on the communication bus.

The car won't let the HVB get too low,  the car will completely shut down before that can happen if it can't run the engine to charge the HVB.

Zero on the HVB icon is not a discharged battery.  There is a reserved portion that is not used for driving.

Engine running problems are the same as any other car.

Dirty fuel injectors

Fouled spark plugs

Dirty air filter

Contaminated gasoline

Are you trying to force the engine to start?  When you turn the car on and get the green icon in the lower right corner of the dash display you are ready to go.  The computer will start the engine when it needs it.  Depending on a lot of variables you can drive up to 1 (2?  The 2010-2012 were 1 mile, the 2013 and later may be 2 miles) mile(s) before the engine is needed.

#11 OFFLINE   Mmiu

Mmiu

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:41 PM

The little battery symbol on the screen when I turn it on is low. No low sign or anything...just low and it feels like the car (engine) hiccups or jolts. Could be the engine filter...I need to check it since it almost has 30k on the vehicle and it probably was never changed. Hopefully that's it.

It actually did it again when I drove 30 min and parked it at my home, under the hood the jolt/hiccup happened so its something when its idled. I cant figure it out. Not too worried yet but it doesn't seem good.

Again just bought it a week ago but the dealership warranty is up, Ford's still good til 36k and I know the battery is under warranty for longer from what I saw in my manual skimming...

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

By hiccup or jolt I mean more of a jolt. Like what an old car would do when shes not doing well...kind of like a studder

#12 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:01 AM

The only thing that comes to mind is my old 2002 Crown Victoria that developed "run on" when the ignition was switched off.  That was caused by carbon buildup on the spark plugs.

The engine starts and stops many times while driving and at stop lights  Does it do it then?  If not I doubt it is the engine.

If it is repeatable have someone waiting where you plan to stop and get an opinion of the sound from outside of the car.

#13 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

As long as the 36K warranty is good, why not consider that in addition to doing what murphy suggested?  I was thinking carbon buildup as well ... figuring it was a lot of stop & go combined with low-speed driving.  There is a Valvoline treatment ($120) for carbon buildup (must be done by a mechanic) but if you have warranty, use that for service first.

Larry - aka Cobra

blacked out grille

#14 OFFLINE   Mmiu

Mmiu

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

I appreciate you both. Thanks a lot. I studied it a bit more today. It seems like a choke, like when I turn it on and the battery is low the main engine kicks on and it kind of is not smooth at all...the transition that is. But then after driving it around a bit to work or wherever when I stop and let it sit for a few seconds before pushing the engine button to off it does the same type of switching and chocking...really strange.

Ps. Probably stupid question but what kind of fuel should I use? 87, 89, 91? I'm assuming 87 is good?

I'm going to change the engine air filter as well...see if that helps

#15 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:37 PM

The motor will run initially because it needs to warm up.  That'll happen every startup where the car has sat for a while.  If the engine runs rough at idle get it looked at ... it should not.  As for transition especially electric to hybrid, there might be a small, almost undetectable, lurch as the gas engine kicks in.  And I mean small.

I see you're in FL.  If you're really concerned about the SOC (state of charge) on the HVB, then depending on where you are jump on to I-95, I-10, I-4, Turnpike or something like that.  Go at speed (can vary it 55-65 or so) for 2-4 exits, turn around and come back.  The car will run hybrid mode which should charge the HVB as it runs.

I used to live in Dade county and visit a friend in Port Orange every so often.  As much traffic in and near metro areas down there, the HVB gets little chance to really get charged up since it gets used a lot.  I know I had a hard time when I was in Port Orange in June.

No manual?  87 octane is recommended.  For an electronic manual (PDF), go to owner.ford.com ==> Support link ==> download owner manuals.  Enter you info and snag a copy.

Edited by Cobra348, 24 September 2018 - 10:49 PM.

Larry - aka Cobra

blacked out grille

#16 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,862 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:49 PM

You can get the engine ( ICE ) to run by stepping down on the accelerator pedal in "P" until the ICE starts and it will charge the high voltage battery ( HVB ) until it is fully charged. The HVB should be at about the same state of charge ( SOC ) in the morning as you left it in the evening. The ICE and the shift between EV and ICE should be absolutely smooth. There should be no vibration. Do not skim through the manual, read every word.

#17 OFFLINE   agbva

agbva

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Hybrid SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2018

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

Fuel: my 2018 manual says this: the vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded fuel (87 octane). "For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather."

You being in Florida, I would try a few tanks of higher octane gas, and you can be sure that this was not the case in the past. I'm a big fan of BG-44K fuel additive and use a can every 10K miles. Buy a few cans online (should cost in the $12-$15 range each, rather than $30 or so locally), put in a can now and fill the tank, and do this for a second fill-up.

#18 OFFLINE   Salcedo317

Salcedo317

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Titanium

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

Bought my fusion hybrid Dec 4th. I took it in for oil change and inspection on Dec 31st. Ever since then I have noticed that my battery doesn't charge back up to 100% overnight like it used to. Maybe it did it before or maybe it didnt. Is this normal for everyone? Or should I be suspicious that something was done wrong at the dealership? I do remember that when I would start the vehicle it would always be 100% or at least 90%ish until I started driving. The only other thing I can think off is that I have not been driving as much due to the holidays and days off work. 

#19 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

Bought my fusion hybrid Dec 4th. I took it in for oil change and inspection on Dec 31st. Ever since then I have noticed that my battery doesn't charge back up to 100% overnight like it used to. Maybe it did it before or maybe it didnt. Is this normal for everyone? Or should I be suspicious that something was done wrong at the dealership? I do remember that when I would start the vehicle it would always be 100% or at least 90%ish until I started driving. The only other thing I can think off is that I have not been driving as much due to the holidays and days off work. 

The battery can't charge overnight by itself.  Maybe it has learned your home position and is using up more battery before you get home.  Maybe you've changed your driving habits and are driving more efficiently and leaving it at a lower charge.

For maximum efficiency, you want to start your day with the battery nearly empty.  That way the energy used to run the gas engine to warm it up and complete the emissions cycle can be captured and used later.

• mwr likes this

#20 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,862 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

This is not a plug-in hybrid is it? Non plug-ins only charge when the ICE is running or by regenerative braking. They hardly ever charge to 100%, usually around 50%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·