Sign in to follow this  
txags99

Transmission leak, electrical failures at 15K

I don't understand why an AC compressor would blow a fuse that disabled the car. The car's under warranty so they have to fix it.

Short answer to can one device cause this much damage. YES.

The fuel pump in a 1992 Crown Vic I had, shorted out one day and took out all the wiring in the trunk.

Since the AC compressor is DC right from the HVB, it draws a lot of amps, so if it does go south, it can cause a lot of damage if the fuse doesn't blow in time, which is what happened with the Vic, It drew too much current, but not enough to blow the fuse, then eventually so much current was flowing that the wires melted then caused a direct short that immediately fried all the wiring involved before the fuse popped.

As for your car, other than the oil leak caused by the other dealer, who I would have harrassed to no end until the car was spotless again, and the trans fluid leak they missed, did everything else work? Ignore the MPG for now as that could be just about anything, and you are getting between 38 and 43 which is what these cars should get on average.

The AC compressor can probably draw a few thousand watts, lets say three. I'm not sure what voltage is delivered , maybe 300 so that would only be 10 amps. 100+ amp fuses would be for the motor control electronics IGBTs. That would disable the car. There are two IGBTs, one for each M/G. There may be one built into the AC compressor also.