Sign in to follow this  
Ford Super News Ticker

Generation Z Shopping List: Ford, Fuel Economy and Car Segments Rank Highest

Math? Whats that? Oh that thing that takes 56 seconds to explain 9+5

Common Core. What a farce. I saw some of that crap sent home with my kids. I taught them how to do may in their heads, and they are pretty good, takes them all of 2 seconds to answer 9+6. :) I would post the story I refer to, but thats too far off topic, so leaving it at that.

If I get a job that requires driving instead of taking a train, looks like I may need to get a second car. A Fiesta is too small for me, or would be a good candidate. I have driven a Focus and it was a good fit, but the talk about the trans has me leery about that. So was thinking, well, I know that both the MKT and Freestyle have equity in them, so was thinking to go used, either a Ruby Red FFE, or an MKZh, and maybe a used pickup, depending on what is out there.

If my wife gets a local job and only has a short distance, like a 20 minute drive, then I could get the Freestyle updated with new struts, shocks and tires, and she could take that as it gets 23 right now, but that's really not much better than the MKT at 20. But if she has more than 20 miles to drive, then neither is a good choice as she would be filling up twice a week, and with gas prices going up, that can get expensive. I never intended the Freestyle to be a daily driver though, just a cheap auxiliary car that I can take to the flying field, or do short trips to the store, it has 173K miles on it. In either case, we will no longer be able to car pool so one of us gets the HyTI, and one will have to drive either the MKT or the Freestyle, and she does not like driving the MKT, too much power for her(think tickets). It is also not practical as a daily driver, was never meant to be either.

Then again, depending on what a second Hybrid and pickup costs, would it be better, or would filling the tank twice a week at nearly $50 or more each be better? Damn this sucks. LOL Just have to see what our new jobs will be.

OTOH I would like to move to another state, so the MKT and Freestyle will need to be replaced with a pickup prior to that as I have a lot of things that have to be trailered, like my horses, the MKT cannot tow their trailer with them in it, and my tractor with attachments will exceed the towing capacity of it as well. It wont weigh as much as the horse trailer with two horses, but will be over 4500#. I also am not trusting the transmission in it.

Energi? MKZh? Which would be a better choice, or what would be a good alternative as a DD for long drives every day? So far a few prospects are 45-60 miles one way. Then again, if the new job pays much much more than my last one(which is a good possibility), I really wont care about the gas and just drive my MKT. :)

BTW kinda sorta thinking out loud here, as it was going through my head on the way home from todays interview.

Edited by acdii

I know, one drawback, the Titanium seats are not very comfortable, about an hour is all I can stand. The SE Luxury seats are more comfortable, but the stereo SUCKS! Thats really the main reason I got the HyTi in the first place, the stereo, I had an SE, and I liked almost everything about it, except the Stereo, key start, and Really REALLY bad gas mileage. Thats why I am thinking used MKZh, they have to be more comfortable than the Ti seats, and have the good stereo.

OR, LOL find an SE for my wife with the luxury seats and swap out the drivers seat. :)

An SE would be fine for her, she listens to the radio at 1. :) I did see a nice Zh for $26K. But, not doing anything until I actually get a job and so does she to determine what we will be driving.